ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fell in love with the MP-1 again  (Read 11060 times)

El Chiguete

Re: Fell in love with the MP-1 again
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

The settings I used in the beginning are TOTALLY different than what I use now! Of course everyones different rig changes the tone but I think the real thing to get used to the MP-1 is that the eq is active and does not interact with each other like the eq on a normal amp. For me one day I said  f*ck it and started trying crazy settings and guess what, they worked for me! :)
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

The settings I used in the beginning are TOTALLY different than what I use now! Of course everyones different rig changes the tone but I think the real thing to get used to the MP-1 is that the eq is active and does not interact with each other like the eq on a normal amp. For me one day I said  f*ck it and started trying crazy settings and guess what, they worked for me! :)

what do you mean the eq is active?  Do explain?  Perhaps with what you're about to tell me in mind might help me when programmin :)

For my live rig I have been using some unusual settings.  Like really having to drop a lot of bass for example.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

El Chiguete

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

By this I meen that (and I want the forum gurus to clarify) a normal eq section on an amp only cuts (basicly you have the base signal with the knobs at 10 and then you cut  B/M/T/P as you roll down the knobs but the eq of the MP-1 adds and cuts in the freqs that its eq section is made (so it works like an eq pedal/unit). This also meens that on a normal eq of an amp the center freq points actually shift around deppending where the other knobs are at and on the MP-1 as other eq pedal or units those points are fixed.

So can the gurus chime on this?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Ahhh I see.  I had no idea.  Ignorance is bliss!!  That's interesting, forgive me guru god on here I didn't know that about amps either.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

By this I meen that (and I want the forum gurus to clarify) a normal eq section on an amp only cuts (basicly you have the base signal with the knobs at 10 and then you cut  B/M/T/P as you roll down the knobs but the eq of the MP-1 adds and cuts in the freqs that its eq section is made (so it works like an eq pedal/unit). This also meens that on a normal eq of an amp the center freq points actually shift around deppending where the other knobs are at and on the MP-1 as other eq pedal or units those points are fixed.

So can the gurus chime on this?
Yes most tube heads  have a passive tone section,passive means it can only cut.Very simple design with a few caps,a resistor and 3 pots.Now the presence is different and  is actually sort of active since it works in the feedback circuit of the amp.Same goes for the resonance knobs on the more modern amps,but these can also be installed on older amps.
Now some tube amps did have an active EQ section,what comes to mind is the marshall major 200W also called the pig which had only 3 controls,vol,bass and treble which were active.Another example is the JCM800 bass head which also had an active bass and treble EQ.
Now the passive eq even if everything is on 10 isn't actually flat,there will be some eq'ing going on due to the design.

Here is a nice site with some more info,there's even a emulator so you can "see" how it works in the freq domain.

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/tonestack.html

So EL i hope this answers your question?

« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

El Chiguete

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Well I actually didnt made a question just wanted you to come up and say if what I said was correct or not jeje.

And yeha, by flat I ment "flat" to the design... This is also why I use those crazy settings because using a normal amp setting on a MP-1 I don't think works good because the actual design I believe is not ment to be based on any other reference amp (like when you get amps from the same brand sometimes they tend to have that Brands tone... most every Marshall after the Plexi carries that base tone but maybe shifts it a little bit to a particular sound but a Marshall sound "should" at least be a Marshall......... also with any other amp that is a clone or based from an original amp design should use similar eq settings to get a similar tone) BUT the MP-1 base tone isnt cloning anything so maybe for me when I put the Mid at -8 it gets in the ball park of a tone that on another amp is 6!

Who knows, I just say dont be afraid to play around with those settings to get a tone that you wouldnt expect unless you tried it! :)

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey but good answer MJMP  :thumb-up: In some ways the ADA preamps were the first profiler/cloners but using the same analogue/tube circuity. You can pull up the sound of pretty much any tube amp of the time and then some ( >:D they do have their own sound though  :whoohoo!: ). They were also fore front into rack set ups (we all know/own/love). Yes you can emulate many different sounds with ADA preamps, you can also create your own sound (so totally agree EL, don't be afraid to play around, experiment, take it to the limit... and share it here LoL)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up