ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP1 direct recording  (Read 6239 times)

Dna^Yay

ADA MP1 direct recording
« on: Time Format »

Hey all!

So i am currently trying to record my MP1, now i used to plug my guitar direct into my interface and then go through Pod Farm. This can produce some great tones for a mix but i kinda wanna use my MP1 for my tones. My current signal chain is as follows;

Guitar> Protone Dead Horse OD> MP1 Distorted(ISP Decimator G string 2 in the effects loop) Output A and B> Firebox Interface Line Ins 3 and 4> Logic X> Ignite Amps Cab Impulse responser.

Now i would then add compression after my cab and the Ozone 6 EQ, but for some reason my tone is just not sounding as good as it does when using pod farm. I began sending my MP1 out mono output A to my MIC inputs on my interface but i remember rnolan suggesting running the MP1 in stereo live, so i decided to do the same when recording. I would then double track the same riff and pan them left and right.

I realise i wont be able to use my normal amp tone when recording so i have tried replicating amp settings on videos on pod farm. Keeping the ODs between 3-5, master gain 5-7 max, then bass around 2, mids 4-6, treble 12, presence 16 and the output level is around 11 o clock. My MP1 has some issues with OD2 so it sometimes can really squeal past 4 if the treble and presence is maxed out if the gain is up around 5 and OD1 even on 0. Sometimes the squealing cuts in and out in time with the lights flashing when editing. I did send it to MJMP but we could not figure out the problem so i have to work around that problem. Luckily i am able to use the noise gate to cut out the high noise that is around 4800 khz as it does not seem to start directly after i stop playing with the noise gate off. Other times though the squealing is evident when i am playing and the noise gate cant really cut that out, so i change my settings.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there is recording an MP1 direct and able to get a great distorted tone. I have recorded the MP1 clean and added distortion on after through Pod Farm, but i want to really focus on capturing the MP1 sound.

If there are any settings you guys can suggest that i can dial in and try out that would be great!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA MP1 direct recording
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well MikeB is getting a great tone(s) direct using a GCS3 cab sim in the MP1 loop (so output is still full stereo, analogue), for rehearsals he plugs that into 2 line ins on my desk, I use the MP2 cab sim outs into 2 other channels, sounds awesome...

@MikeB, next time your over lets record some MP1 tones while your plugged in, we can then post them for Dna^Yay
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Dna^Yay

yep, I have mainly only used my MP1's for direct recording.

I dunno why you need so much stuff in your chain to be honest, you compress guitar after your cab?  That's new to me but if it's working for you do it.  I only ever add compression to a guitar (if ever) at the very start of the FX chain.

How I record my mp1's direct:

guitar > boss gt5 > ADA MP1 (in the boss GT5 fx Loop) > reverb > stereo boss output > EPSI cab sim (stereo input ) > multitrack device > imported to DAW

In my opinion my direct tones are better than I could replicate with any mic and real cab simply because I have so much more choice with the EPSI.  I dunno what style of distortion you play or want to achieve but for me I have got into the most comfortable DI recording position I have ever been in and it's all thanks to that awesome cab sim and MP1.  I so far have never needed to record clean so, well not in years so my experience with MP1 is exclusively with distorted tones.

Not sure if that helps but that's how I do it man.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MikeB

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I've had some experience running an mp1 into pod farm. 
I have the line 6 ux1 interface and i used to run my mp1 outputs in to the line inputs on the ux1.  Then in pod farm i would set up two matching signal paths with cab Sims and it sounded OK.   Once i put my gcs3 into the mp1 loop,  i no longer needed the cab Sims in pod farm. So i was just using it as a computer interface so that i could pay with headphones.  It didn't sound anywhere near as good as it should have sounded. Rnolan lent me a headphone amp so it is now all analogue all the way to my ears and the difference is astonishing.  The AD conversion in the ux1 or in pod farm (or wherever it is) is stripping out all of the sweet mp1 tone.  When pod farm was adding something back in (the cab sims) it covered it all up so it sounded better.
i know you are using a different interface, but it could still be an AD conversion issue
I don't feel tardy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up