ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Conditioners  (Read 71844 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Power Conditioners
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

I have the furman pl-plus e series II

http://audioshop.com.ua/images2/furman_pl-plus-ebigoriginal.jpg

Now it's called the pl plus CE

Price has gone up quite a bit bought mine new for 220 euro.

I have all my guitar gear hooked to it.So one flick of the switch and it's all on  >:D

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

...got the same one :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

I have the furman pl-plus e series II

http://audioshop.com.ua/images2/furman_pl-plus-ebigoriginal.jpg

Now it's called the pl plus CE

Price has gone up quite a bit bought mine new for 220 euro.

I have all my guitar gear hooked to it.So one flick of the switch and it's all on  >:D

Aww really?  You only have to hit one switch!  That sucks!  I like having to switch on about ten things hahahaha!

I joke of course!  :lol:

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Well is was lying,i need to put the 2 stanby switches on my heads to on. :facepalm:  :P

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

ooooooooooooooohhhhh  I can never trust you ever again!   :nono:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Again I joke  :thumb-up:

Now a legit question.  Say I have an effects device that runs off it own 9v power supply, how the f*ck do I get that to work off a power conditioner that only has IEC  sockets?  Please don't tell me I'll need some sort of adapter!!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

.....  Please don't tell me I'll need some sort of adapter!!

Yap, you do! But those can be easily self-made wit them IEC plugs I posted earlier.
Once again: all power cords/lines one one side of the rack, all signal cords on the other. Worth the effort and reduces hum and noise big-time

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

this seems like a real pain in the balls!  The power pack I am thinking of is large.  Like this but bigger

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMxOVgxMzE5/$(KGrHqR,!pgE8WVcVmBFBPVLBPPqKQ~~60_35.JPG

How does this convert to an IEC?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Well i solved this by just adding a powerstrip on the bottom of my 19" rack,cut off the connector and put on a IEC connector.
And i added a "powersupply rack" with a few small 9Vac toroid transformers for my 9V and 18Vac racks.So this also saves some adaptors.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Not sure I know what you mean MJMP, does this mean you have another unit you have to carry about?  Isn't a power strip like a series of plug socekts together in one big chunky block type thing?

If a power conditioner has high-voltage surge and transient suppressor is this what I want in it?  This protects me from Voltage coming from the mains yes?  And then I also want the trip function that will trip when too many Amps plugged in yes?

And of course good old RFI/EMF filtering?  Would these be the main things?  Are meter functions like the little voltage guages or LED displays necessary?

Also what does this do?

http://cpc.farnell.com/powerdata-technologies/v13a-saf-8/vertical-uk-filtered-8-way/dp/PL09714
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Yes i have an extra unit i build myself with 3 toroid transformers in it to feed my ADA MXC,the rocktron patchmate,my dunlop rack wah and the decimator pro g rack.These all work on 9V ac voltages except the dunlop which is 24V ac.The 220V is connected with a IEC connector to the furman power conditioner.So to answer your next question "why would you do that?"Well a few reasons,first the room ,an adapter takes up to much space in the back of your rack.

Second,noise from the magnetic field these adapters radiate.

Now it's all in a small 19" rack were i used toroids (which radiate less magnetic field then a standard transformer and they are smaller in height).Also the rack acts as a faraday's cage to keep the magnetic radition to a minimum.
So no adapters in my rack.

And SC already gave a good tip;audio cables all on one side of the rack,the other side all the power and midi cables.

For me ,what i need in a power conditioner

* RFI/EMI filter  (a good one because there is a lot of difference in quality)

* High-voltage surge and transient suppressor (electronic type,no VDR's for me because they are usually fried when they done their work)

* And the meter is mandatory for me,i like to see the mains voltage i'm plugging into.

* Rack lights front and back.

Look what can happen with cheap power strips and power conditioners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujCqjLSQF8

The farnell thing is a powerstrip with a cheap RFI filter.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

In UK we call those "power strips"  adapters.  I dunno why.  We call them bar extension leads and a few other random things.

I personally would never rely on something like that as my surge protector.

Although lets do a comparison here.  Your video, have you ever saw this happen?  I'm pretty sure you will tell me yes.  Or saw something blow up may be in less dramatic fashion.

Well I've never saw anything like that happen.  May be 30 years ago or more this type of thing might have happened but in my experience it doesn't seem to be common.

I am still thinking of power conditioner, but the fact I'll need something else added to it is off putting.  I need a mobile as f*ck rig that I can take on a plane with me.  My band does not have a tour bus and private jet so I need to practical about this kind of thing. ( first gig tour is 23.10.2016 CafĂ© De Meister, Burgemeester, Lemmensstraat, 250, Geleen, Netherlands)

Right so I could get a power conditioner (mjmp - sponsored by Furman  :lol:) and cut the plug of a "power strip" or bar adapter as we call them, and plug this into the PC and then I could then take  9v adapter and plug it into the bar adapter?  Ok it's a solution but f*ck I do not want anymore shit to carry!!!

edit:  could I use this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201005770074?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-131843261586&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&googleloc=1007282&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

also is this spec ok?

Current rating                      10 Amps with circuit breaker
Accessory outlets                 10 switched on the rear and plus 1 unswitched on the front
input Voltage                       180 to 260 VAC
noise Attenuation                  transverse and common modes: 20dn at 200khZ, rising to >0dB, 1 to 100 Mhz.
lamp                                    2 slide-out, swiveling light fixtures for rack illumination
response time                       1 nanosecond
Maximum surge Current         6,500 amps dimensions (hxwxd) 1.75"x19"x6" (.mmx8.2mmx152mm)

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Well you need the bar adapter anyway so the only thing added is the power conditioner.Right?

Yes  and no but i did see tv and wireless phones ,stereo's smoke like this due to the fact the voltage was too high.A lot of of lamps that popped etc....And why just because a neuter wire bacame loose.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

uhh no I don't take the bar adapter with me.  Venues provide plug sockets, and if we show up there are not enough we frown angrily  >:(

So I could get one of these for the one 9v power pack that I need to run of the PC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201005770074?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-131843261586&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&googleloc=1007282&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

no way about the phone, I never saw that before.  Although last night I thought my toaster was gonna f**king exlode!  It sparked quite a lot when the toast popped.  You think that is dangerous MJMP?  Should I bin it?  It normally sparks a bit but that frightened last night.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Exactly one like that and you're golden!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Wow never saw those plugs before.Well you learn every day.

Mmmm well you see what can happen if you don't use a power conditioner  :lol:
Ok serious now ,i would bin it!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up