ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ENGL Mod?  (Read 10318 times)

Dna^Yay

ENGL Mod?
« on: Time Format »

I heard through the grapevine someone did this a while back, would/has anyone tried to attempt doing something like this?

RobbHell

Re: ENGL Mod?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I am the One you speak of. And Yes their is a Engl Mod.

Dna^Yay

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Awesome!!! What did you think of it after doing the mod? Don't suppose you have a schematic/list of the things you did? Did it add more gain,change the eq structure etc?

RobbHell

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

First it started out as a what if idea. Then I ended up getting Gary Holts (Exodus) Engl Powerball. When I'd been jamming on it awhile. Engls by themselves kinda need something in the effects loop to really make it jump at you. Well I started getting better results but the Distortion characteristics were just not really what used to. The ADA MP1 hands down mod or no mod has very Smooth distortion. Well with that being said I pulled my 3TM back out and plugged it into the Engl.
Now I was getting that smooth distortion I like but the MP1 EQ section is pretty weak has terrible bass well actually the bass is a Low Mid Freq. The MP1 to me sounds good but has always sounded like there was a thick blanket laided over your good tone.
So I started modding. Im also working on a Two Tube board version of this mod.

Dna^Yay

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

First it started out as a what if idea. Then I ended up getting Gary Holts (Exodus) Engl Powerball. When I'd been jamming on it awhile. Engls by themselves kinda need something in the effects loop to really make it jump at you. Well I started getting better results but the Distortion characteristics were just not really what used to. The ADA MP1 hands down mod or no mod has very Smooth distortion. Well with that being said I pulled my 3TM back out and plugged it into the Engl.
Now I was getting that smooth distortion I like but the MP1 EQ section is pretty weak has terrible bass well actually the bass is a Low Mid Freq. The MP1 to me sounds good but has always sounded like there was a thick blanket laided over your good tone.
So I started modding. Im also working on a Two Tube board version of this mod.

Dude i love the whole Bay Area thrash scene, that tone is just killer!

It would be good to see some new mods for the MP1 that could easily stand up against some of the modern amps today!

robertkoa

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

On the previous old ADA Forum there was a user named I think  KorB  who had a few clips of what he called an  ENGL Mod  but it was more pure and sweet than ENGL.

Are you familiar with those clips and that Mod ?

It was lacking "attitude and bite"  of most ENGL  but good for guys like me who want a more   pure sounding, non raspy, harmonic distortion similar to Eric Johnsons earlier high gain Tones.

Familiar with this one ?

RobbHell

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

The 3TM board helps a lot. Its not till you use the Bass Cut and change the EQ that it gettings the attack and crunch you speak of. Honestly.I think it sounds better than my Powerball. The Powerball has that thick Mesa type distortion that could use a better crunchier top end. Might end up screwing around with the Engl but I'm too deep into the ADA's at this point.

RobbHell

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The Power Amp section is not for the weak hearted. It's way too damn loud. It gets so loud and in your face your ears will stop registering sound. Absolutely amazing! and has that hit up in the chest low end.

RobbHell

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Honestly I really think that Engl sound and tone comes from their amazing power amp section. Because the front end doesn't sound that much different than a Mesa

RobbHell

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

What I like about the Bass Cut is that you can use +16db on tje bass and it doesn't fart or sound flabby then I let Outboard EQ do some magic. I've always used outboard eq witj my MP1's I consider it a must lol. The bass boost i need to tailor. I'm finding it a bit Too extreme even for me lol.

Dna^Yay

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Sounds awesome!

Do you always use an external eq on top of your modded ada then?

El Chiguete

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Is that external EQ set the same allways or you change it deppending on the type of preset/music you want to do?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

RobbHell

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I always use external.eq. Hence ADA's MQ1 and graphic eq in the MP2. Stand alone.its stull a bit too 80's Hair Metal for me lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up