ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Other ADA gear you own  (Read 24870 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Other ADA gear you own
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Mmm just repairing one of my S1000's ,I'm going to give it a good test.Lately I started using more and more ADA stuff.
I used to use the Digitizer for chorus but now I use it for delays,the delay sound on this unit is amazing.I switched to the TFX4 for chorus (and flanging) now.There is something about these older ADA units ,they just sound so good.
I used to use my G force for all my effects ,now I just use it for reverbs only and some midi stuff like master volume and mute for tuning.
Also saw that these old ADA unit went up in price a lot.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,

I think I might be able to offer a little bit of light on the subject as to why the older ADA's sound better. This was something I asked about back in the day when I already owned several S-1000's and got my first Digitizer 4.

I was trying to duplicate the thick Chorus setting I had in my S-1000, to save in the Digitizer 4, and just couldn't get it to sound right. So I called ADA and asked Todd if I was doing something wrong. He told me I wasn't. He explained that the reason it didn't sound the same was because the S-1000, and earlier delay units ran on a Sine wave, where the Digitizer 4 runs on a Square wave. Even though I had duplicated the settings according to the technical specs, it will sound a bit different because of the waveform. The delays are sharper and clearer, but the modulation effects will also be more sterile and not blend into each new modulation as the Sine waves did. The modulation effects will have a bit more "choppiness" to them instead of smoothness.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Well the first thing i did on the broken S1000 was the calibration so I made a plot of the modulation on the slowest setting to check if it took 25 seconds and I saw it is not a sine wave but a triangle wave in the S1000.
Don't know about the digitizer but i find it strange that it is a square wave.I'll check it out if I have the time.

Also if I'm not mistaken,on the i series you can select the waveform with a pot ?

Also the ADC and DAC in the S1000 and digitizer are different which also will have an effect on the sound.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Yes, this is true about the i series delays, they have a waveform select all the way to the right of the unit.

As far as the waveforms, that is what I was told about the Digitizer.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Just checked the digitizer and it seems Todd blew some shit in your ears,it's also a triangle wave form,same as the S1000.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hmmm, I remember the call. I had called him to ask why I couldn't get the Leslie simulation from the Digitizer 4 like I could from the S-1000, and that was the reason he gave me :dunno:

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Well i guess it's something different then this  :lol:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Well i guess it's something different then this  :lol:

Obviously. I remember being pretty thrilled when the Digitizer 4 came out and thought it would be great to reduce my rack gear by having the programmable unit in there. So I wanted to install all the effects I had created with the S-1000 in there. I got pretty good results with the others, but that one I just couldn't seem to get. Since I used only about two effects at a time with my S-1000's, I though I'd be able to get by with just two D-4's in a small rack case. That didn't work out either  :lol:

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I like the delays better with the digitizer compared to the S1000.The digitizer has a better bandwith (16kHz vs 10kHz)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

That's true, the bandwith is lower with the S-1000, but it still produces great effects. I can adjust the mix for the delays to suit my needs, but the Chorus effects are much better in the S-1000. The Flanger is about the same in both I think, but I seem to be able to fine tune with the S-1000 better.

Just my opinion

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Well I really have to check the S1000 out but it still has some problems with the jacks and pots so I'm going to give it an complete overhaul,pots,jacks ,caps.Just did this with my ADA STD-1 and it was a world of difference sound and noise wise.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

I hear you.
I have to replace something in my S-1000 that I have interfaced with the EMB Wah. You had told me what you believed it was in the old Forum, but I never got to it because at the time, I didn't have the tools to do it with. I think it was some type of IC that I had to unsolder and replace.
I'll have to get the unit set up and go through it to identify it again. I'll be getting in touch with you on that one.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Ok just let me know.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Here some ADA p*rn