ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61186 times)

Chamai

Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, quite a few rants from me about this in various posts. I've always used a mixer in much the same way I'd set up a live mix with a PA. It does give you more control and also lets you keep the ADA analogue signal all the way to the cabs. The Alesis that Soloist is using (relatively new offering) is a perfect choice though only has one stereo send return, so good for one stereo effect (or you can chain effects within the loop). But it is 1RU rack mount so nice and tidy.
I have an old Yamaha AM802, 8 inputs and 3 (mono) FX/Aux sends. It works well but where to mount it so you can leave it cabled up.  I have mine velcro'd (industrial strength velcro) to the bottom of my rack (tidyer than when I used to gaph it to the bottom (or earlier I gaphed it to the back lid and flipped it over onto the top)). Also my MP2 has stereo parallel loop (similar to Alesis MM8). Mixers are basically virtical input strips (channels) and horizontal bus lines which the channels feed. The main bus is the L/R mix bus, on AM802 the are also 3 FX/Aux buses so you can control how much of each channel is fed to any of the buses, Fader feeds the mix bus and FX/Aux send knobs feed the Aux buses. Main mix goes to poweramp, Aux buses 1 and 2 go to Quadverb L/R in, L/R out return to 2 channels, Aux 3 goes to IPS33 in, out A/B again down 2 channels (which also get sent to QV via Aux 1 and 2). Careful you don't send them back to themselves or they feedback (badly LOL) but this is mixing 101 stuff. I also have a Midiverb 4 in the MP2 loop but haven't used it much yet.
One down side of MP1 loop (apart from being mono) (same for most amp loops BTW) is it's serial so all your signal goes into the loop. This isn't so bad with analogue FXs but not the best way with digital FXs (eg the first thing a TC GMaj does is A/D the signal so there goes the analogue). There's a number of post from myself and MikeB about this and we proved it sounds much better not committing you whole signal to the TC. Mike uses an ART split mix to make a stereo loop after his MP1 (details in other posts). This is probably the cheapest solution and the ART is passive so no power required for it. The MM8 is the tidiest (I just wish it had more sends) and not sure what they cost (Soloist ?). I've been designing some thing similar (in my head) for years. I was thinking 2 RU, all tube input and 6 sends.
I you're happy with a desk style mixer, the new Carvin range looks interesting.  They have a 12 channel with 6 monitor sends and 2 FX sends IIRC. The difference between a monitor send and FX send is whether the signal fed into the send comes from before of after the channels fader/vol. In live PA situations, you don't want the channel vol affecting the monitor vol but you do want it affecting the FX vol.  For what we are discussing here, once it's set you rarely touch it so using monitor or FX sends would make little difference. So IMO the Carvin would be a good choice and allow you to "parallel loop" 4 stereo or 8 mono FXs and send any of their outputs to any of the others as required/desired.

I really appreciate the write up

I am a complete noob with mixers so please bare with me

can I plug a effects unit into one of the input channels of the mixer since lots of mixers (as you describe the alesis), only has one fx stereo return. I don't want to chain all my effects in that one fx slot.

I have 2 effects unit that I would like to run.

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

gtmm

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Chami,

"can I plug a effects unit into one of the input channels of the mixer since lots of mixers (as you describe the alesis), only has one fx stereo return. I don't want to chain all my effects in that one fx slot."

Yeah, sure. As rnolan points out this is a better way to do it.

I use a Spirit Folio rack mount mixer in my rig. It has 12 mono input channels, two stereo input channels, 6 aux sends (two pre-fader, and four post-fader), four stereo returns with two aux sends, and two stereo FX returns. I just use the regular input channels for everything and don't bother using the stereo or FX returns. All the input channels feed the stereo bus mix output, which would be the input to your power amp driving your cabs, cabsim, DAW input if recording, etc.

I've got an MP-1 in channels 1+2 of the mixer, and an MP-2 in channels 3+4; an old Furman stereo analog compressor/expander whose inputs are fed by aux sends 1+2 (pre-fader) and returning in input channels 5+6, a Lexicon MX300 whose inputs are fed by aux sends 3+4 (post-fader) and returning in channels 7+8. The other inputs are used for MIDI sounds, (an Alesis D4, Emu Proteus FX, and two Oberheim Matrix 1000s.)

A typical signal flow for me is usually this:

MP-1 outputs to mixer inputs 1+2; MP-2 outputs to mixer inputs 3+4. Their stereo bus mix level is controlled by the faders, with the panning usually hard left and hard right. Only one MP-x is being used at a time (though I will soon change this!!)

Then I use aux sends 1+2 (pre-fader) on the MP-1/MP-2 input channels (depends on which MP I'm playing through) to send the signal to the compressor. The return of the compressor goes to input channels 5+6 of the mixer. The stereo bus mix level of the compressor is controlled by the faders, and usually the panning is around 9:00 o'clock for channel 5 (left) and 3:00 o'clock for channel 6 (right).

Then I use aux sends 3+4 on the compressor channels (post-fader) to send the compressed MP-1/MP-2 signal to the Lexicon. The return of the Lexicon goes to input channels 7+8 of the mixer. The stereo bus mix level of the Lex is controlled by the faders and the panning is usually hard left/right, but not always. The Lex output is 100% wet (all effect, no input signal mixed in with its output) as this balance is controlled by the fader settings on the mix board.

So, as far as mixing the sound on the stereo bus I typically have the original (uncompressed) MP-1/MP-2 output, a compressed MP-1/MP-2 output, and the compressed MP-1/MP-2 output through the Lex (usually reverb, sometimes chorus also).

All levels and panning are individually tweakable for all three stereo signals, including pan and EQ as each input channel on the mix board has a four band sweepable eq.

It's very flexible also. For example, if i don't want the original (uncompressed) MP-1/MP-2 signal in the mix I just pull the faders down on those channels, and since the aux sends that go to the compressor (aux sends 1+2) are pre-fader that flow is still there and now in the stereo mix I have just the compressed MP-1/MP-2 and the effects.

Or, if I don't want the compressed MP-1/MP-2 signal, I just pull those faders down (input channels 5+6), which kills the compressed MP-1/MP-2 send to the Lex as the aux sends I use on the compressor input channels (aux sends 3+4) are post-fader. Then I just turn up aux sends 3+4 on the original MP-1/MP-2 channels strips to drive the Lex input.

Also, you can use both the original (uncompressed) MP-1/MP-2 signals and the compressed MP-1/MP-2 signals to drive the Lex by just using aux sends 3+4 on the original MP-1/MP-2 inputs channels along with aux sends 3+4 on the compressed MP-1/MP-2 input channels.

It sounds really good, for example, to have the original MP-1/MP-2 signal (the uncompressed one) panned tight, like 11:00 o'clock for left and 1:00 o'clock for right, the compressed MP-1/MP-2 panned at like 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock, and the verb/chorus, etc. panned hard left/right with both the original MP-1/MP-2 and compressed MP-1/MP-2 signals feeding the Lex. Just use your ears to find the balance you like.

Another benefit of this setup is that your gain structure is highly optimized as the inputs to the compressor and Lex are fed from aux busses with knobs for controlling the output of the bus. Also, there's no need to change any patching unless one really wants to daisy-chain all their FX.

This setup just requires four aux sends (two pre-fader, two post-fader), and six channel strips (eight if you have two MP's) and is quite flexible.
« Last Edit: Time Format by gtmm »

Chamai

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Chami,

"can I plug a effects unit into one of the input channels of the mixer since lots of mixers (as you describe the alesis), only has one fx stereo return. I don't want to chain all my effects in that one fx slot."

Yeah, sure. As rnolan points out this is a better way to do it.

I use a Spirit Folio rack mount mixer in my rig. It has 12 mono input channels, two stereo input channels, 6 aux sends (two pre-fader, and four post-fader), four stereo returns with two aux sends, and two stereo FX returns. I just use the regular input channels for everything and don't bother using the stereo or FX returns. All the input channels feed the stereo bus mix output, which would be the input to your power amp driving your cabs, cabsim, DAW input if recording, etc.

I've got an MP-1 in channels 1+2 of the mixer, and an MP-2 in channels 3+4; an old Furman stereo analog compressor/expander whose inputs are fed by aux sends 1+2 (pre-fader) and returning in input channels 5+6, a Lexicon MX300 whose inputs are fed by aux sends 3+4 (post-fader) and returning in channels 7+8. The other inputs are used for MIDI sounds, (an Alesis D4, Emu Proteus FX, and two Oberheim Matrix 1000s.)

A typical signal flow for me is usually this:

MP-1 outputs to mixer inputs 1+2; MP-2 outputs to mixer inputs 3+4. Their stereo bus mix level is controlled by the faders, with the panning usually hard left and hard right. Only one MP-x is being used at a time (though I will soon change this!!)

Then I use aux sends 1+2 (pre-fader) on the MP-1/MP-2 input channels (depends on which MP I'm playing through) to send the signal to the compressor. The return of the compressor goes to input channels 5+6 of the mixer. The stereo bus mix level of the compressor is controlled by the faders, and usually the panning is around 9:00 o'clock for channel 5 (left) and 3:00 o'clock for channel 6 (right).

Then I use aux sends 3+4 on the compressor channels (post-fader) to send the compressed MP-1/MP-2 signal to the Lexicon. The return of the Lexicon goes to input channels 7+8 of the mixer. The stereo bus mix level of the Lex is controlled by the faders and the panning is usually hard left/right, but not always. The Lex output is 100% wet (all effect, no input signal mixed in with its output) as this balance is controlled by the fader settings on the mix board.

So, as far as mixing the sound on the stereo bus I typically have the original (uncompressed) MP-1/MP-2 output, a compressed MP-1/MP-2 output, and the compressed MP-1/MP-2 output through the Lex (usually reverb, sometimes chorus also).

All levels and panning are individually tweakable for all three stereo signals, including pan and EQ as each input channel on the mix board has a four band sweepable eq.

It's very flexible also. For example, if i don't want the original (uncompressed) MP-1/MP-2 signal in the mix I just pull the faders down on those channels, and since the aux sends that go to the compressor (aux sends 1+2) are pre-fader that flow is still there and now in the stereo mix I have just the compressed MP-1/MP-2 and the effects.

Or, if I don't want the compressed MP-1/MP-2 signal, I just pull those faders down (input channels 5+6), which kills the compressed MP-1/MP-2 send to the Lex as the aux sends I use on the compressor input channels (aux sends 3+4) are post-fader. Then I just turn up aux sends 3+4 on the original MP-1/MP-2 channels strips to drive the Lex input.

Also, you can use both the original (uncompressed) MP-1/MP-2 signals and the compressed MP-1/MP-2 signals to drive the Lex by just using aux sends 3+4 on the original MP-1/MP-2 inputs channels along with aux sends 3+4 on the compressed MP-1/MP-2 input channels.

It sounds really good, for example, to have the original MP-1/MP-2 signal (the uncompressed one) panned tight, like 11:00 o'clock for left and 1:00 o'clock for right, the compressed MP-1/MP-2 panned at like 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock, and the verb/chorus, etc. panned hard left/right with both the original MP-1/MP-2 and compressed MP-1/MP-2 signals feeding the Lex. Just use your ears to find the balance you like.

Another benefit of this setup is that your gain structure is highly optimized as the inputs to the compressor and Lex are fed from aux busses with knobs for controlling the output of the bus. Also, there's no need to change any patching unless one really wants to daisy-chain all their FX.

This setup just requires four aux sends (two pre-fader, two post-fader), and six channel strips (eight if you have two MP's) and is quite flexible.

thanks for all the info, you guys are awesome

you think you can recommend me a good rack mixer that is currently in production?

I don't have a lot of stuff that I will run

digitech gsp 21 pro effects unit,
fostex 3180 stereo reverb
dbx 1066 compressor
31 band eq

mxr micro amp and boss ns2 in front of the ada
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

gtmm

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Chami,

I really don't have any recommendations for rack mount mixers right now. This is due to me not playing (guitar, that is) for some time, and my current and past focus being writing, not live performance. As a matter of fact, the mixer I have now I got for free from a studio that failed in the mid '90s. And the mixer takes eight rack spaces.

In other words, my rig wouldn't survive any live situation; it just sits in my home, in my rack.

I am however, looking to to find a two or possibly four rack space mixer that would work just for my guitar rig. If I run across something I will let you know!!!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Go gtmm  :thumb-up: good use of the desk and some interesting ideas with the panning (I pan hard L/R, but you've got me thinking  :crazy: ).
@Chamai, as gtmm says (and if you can follow his (very good BTW) description (easy for me (and quite enjoyable), maybe a little harder for where your heads at LOL)). Don't worry, we'll help you along the way as you learn more. gtmm's patch (as does mine to some extent) utilise the flexibility a mixer with options (lots of sends) brings.  The stereo ins and FX return on a desk like this are for live mixing flexibility (as typically at a gig, all the channels will have mics plugged into them (vox, drums etc)). But you get much better control and patching possibilities using channel inputs (if you have them). For a MP1/MP2 setup, you have channels to spare, so both gtmm and I use them instead (better control) and then send them to other things etc. I do the same thing in a studio or live PA situation when I've got my audio engineer hat on.
As gtmm says, while the spirit rack mount is perfect, it takes 8RU (spaces) so generally, all your rack. This is why I velcro mine to the bottom of the rack, I'm contemplating a rack shelf and cable tie the desk to it. There are some rack case options that provide for a small (like these ones we use) rack mount desk on top of the rack. Designed for small PA applications (perfect for what we are talking about).
As I said, I've always wanted a 1 or 2RU rack mixer but can't find one with enough sends. The Alesis MM8 is perfect but only 1 stereo send. However, if you used an ART split mix from the send to send to each different effect, and then return all the signals back into input channels, it opens up possibilities. Though is still not as flexible. But we're probably spinning you out by now LOL.
What you need and both gtmm and I want is the tube line mixer I have been dreaming up for years.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Ok so you have 2 stereo FX units, a stereo (good quality) compressor (why ??) and a 31 band eq (mono ? why ?). The 2 FX I understand why, the other 2 what do you use them for and why, I say this because it's better not to put more units in the signal chain than you need as they all have/add noise (which becomes much more apparent at MP1 full tilt gain with volume  >:D ), and they also complicate your gain structure and make it harder to get right.
But you could put DBX between MP1 outs and poweramp as is stereo and high qual analogue (again why? you do this in PAs to protect the speakers, it will just squish all your lovely dynamics unless you just want to use the noise gate function, now that's a valid reason  :thumb-up: and good spot for such a thing). I'm assuming your 31 band eq is mono ? so would be best IMHO in MP1 loop (other wise how do you put it in the stereo chain ?). If it's a stereo 32 band, then it could go before the DBX after the MP1 (again, just like a PA mix set up).

The main game though (as I wouldn't bother with DBX or eq (but hey that's me and what I want/need/don't need)) is how to combine your 2 FX devices and "mix" them into the signal.
Probably easiest and most tidy (only 1RU) is the Alesis MM8 and either chain the 2 FX together (gsp > 3180) in the (send return) loop, or add an ART split mix in the loop which can feed each effect (in stereo) and either return each down a stereo input. Or you could just use a splitter lead ?

The most simple patch I can think of (way not the best though) is:
MP1, (MP1 loop 31 Band > gsp (mono)), MP1 A/B outs > 3180 rev > DBX > poweramp > cabs (sorry hope your not on overload  :facepalm: )

Chamai

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Ok so you have 2 stereo FX units, a stereo (good quality) compressor (why ??) and a 31 band eq (mono ? why ?). The 2 FX I understand why, the other 2 what do you use them for and why, I say this because it's better not to put more units in the signal chain than you need as they all have/add noise (which becomes much more apparent at MP1 full tilt gain with volume  >:D ), and they also complicate your gain structure and make it harder to get right.
But you could put DBX between MP1 outs and poweramp as is stereo and high qual analogue (again why? you do this in PAs to protect the speakers, it will just squish all your lovely dynamics unless you just want to use the noise gate function, now that's a valid reason  :thumb-up: and good spot for such a thing). I'm assuming your 31 band eq is mono ? so would be best IMHO in MP1 loop (other wise how do you put it in the stereo chain ?). If it's a stereo 32 band, then it could go before the DBX after the MP1 (again, just like a PA mix set up).

The main game though (as I wouldn't bother with DBX or eq (but hey that's me and what I want/need/don't need)) is how to combine your 2 FX devices and "mix" them into the signal.
Probably easiest and most tidy (only 1RU) is the Alesis MM8 and either chain the 2 FX together (gsp > 3180) in the (send return) loop, or add an ART split mix in the loop which can feed each effect (in stereo) and either return each down a stereo input. Or you could just use a splitter lead ?

The most simple patch I can think of (way not the best though) is:
MP1, (MP1 loop 31 Band > gsp (mono)), MP1 A/B outs > 3180 rev > DBX > poweramp > cabs (sorry hope your not on overload  :facepalm: )

the compressor is more of an experiment with my sound, its not part of the main setup. i don't really plan on keeping this in the setup. the compressor do sound great with a clean sound though.

things that must stay are 2 of my fx units and my 31 band eq.

man, stepping into fx racks and all this fun stuff is confusing as hell. i was more amp and stomp box guy back then.

i am actually very very happy with the sound i am getting with my current setup. gsp21 -- eq -- reverb. i just want to play around with a mixer to see if i can make stuff even better. the gsp does change the ada mp1 sound quite a bit.

again, thanks for the help!!!!!

here is my current setup (mono)

guitar --> rack tuner --> MXR micro amp --> ns2 noise sup --> ada mp1 --> gsp 21 --> 31 band eq --> fostex reverb -- back to mp1 --> mosvalve power amp --> cab

i just need that mixer in the whole setup
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Yeah I got the feeling we were feeding you too much to absorb easily. If you read gtmm's and my post(s) slowly and we work through them bit by bit you'll get it in the end LOL.
Hey glad you like your sound  :thumb-up: and the DBX would be good for clean sounds. A mixer is the go for the best set up (gain structure, ease of control, options) but can get a bit complicated ?
A huge improvement would be to put the Fostex 3180 (very nice BTW, old school spring reverb  :whoohoo!: , if you belt it at the end of a song it will sound awesome (e.g. the end of deep purple highway star)  :metal: ) after the MP1 and run in stereo (if you can). You'll be so glad you did.
MP1 out A/B > 3180 L/R in, L/R out > Mosvalve L/R in > cabs (or stereo cab).
What cab(s) do you have ?

Chamai

« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Yeah I got the feeling we were feeding you too much to absorb easily. If you read gtmm's and my post(s) slowly and we work through them bit by bit you'll get it in the end LOL.
Hey glad you like your sound  :thumb-up: and the DBX would be good for clean sounds. A mixer is the go for the best set up (gain structure, ease of control, options) but can get a bit complicated ?
A huge improvement would be to put the Fostex 3180 (very nice BTW, old school spring reverb  :whoohoo!: , if you belt it at the end of a song it will sound awesome (e.g. the end of deep purple highway star)  :metal: ) after the MP1 and run in stereo (if you can). You'll be so glad you did.
MP1 out A/B > 3180 L/R in, L/R out > Mosvalve L/R in > cabs (or stereo cab).
What cab(s) do you have ?

i am going to make sure to come back and read those posts again when i pick up a mixer. i have been really into guitar for the past half a year. man, after buying my first mp1 back in october, i can't stop buying!!! people are not really into rack stuff anymore, so i can get a lot of stuff locally for a good price.

i am still taking my time looking for one thats reasonably priced and rack mount. that rock crusher really set me back. so i won't be able to buy gear. i am up for suggestions on which mixer to buy.

i did mess with stereo  with my ada, it was awesome. the reason why i am rocking mono is because i am out of cables hahaha and i need my gsp for its chorus.

heres a pic of my set up. i am running a pair of early rocktron s112 before they put vintage 30's in.

Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Hey cool, nice rig(s) my friend  :thumb-up: , hey get some cables !! I saw a Fostex 3180 on line for $2400 (US I assume), nice bit of kit. even in mono I'd put it after the MP1 as it will have true analogue pass through for direct signal and allow you to mix in the reverb you want with the mix control, and, better gain structure.
I've been chasing a good rack mixer (that isn't desk style that can mount vertically (like gtmm's spirit, and there others like this)) with enough sends for years. MM8 is the right idea, just not enough sends. But in your setup, you could use a desk style mixer, either on top of your rack, or either speaker box.
As mentioned before, the Carvins look good, particularly as they're not expensive and heaps of sends. I've got a couple of Behringer eurorack UB224FX-PROs, one very early model, one much later, they rack mount like the spirit, with 4 sends, I use one for my studio (the old original one) and one is for small PA.
If I find a good option I'll let you know.

gtmm

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Hey Chami,

Nice setup! I looked for some small rack mount line mixers yesterday just out of curiosity and this one, the Samson SM10, looks pretty good for a one rack space, especially for the price of $199.00

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/mixers/sm10/sm10/

In the post I made earlier describing how I use my mixer you have to remember that all my channel strips are mono (except for two which I use for synth input). So when I said that my set up required 4 aux sends this was four mono aux sends being used as two stereo sends. So keep that in mind.

The SM10 has 10 stereo inputs (two of which have mic level xlr inputs along with line level TRS), four mix busses, and two dedicated stereo returns.

On each input channel you could mix to the main stereo outs, a stereo monitor out, and a stereo FX out. The monitor out is pre-fader and the FX out is post-fader, which is exactly what you want.

So on each input channel you have four knobs -- volume, balance, monitor send, fx send. Don't worry about the fact that the "monitor" and "fx" sends are named what they are -- think about them as separate stereo mixes.

So for example, if I was to wire this up so that it worked just like my current setup that I described above:

MP-1 out --> SM10 stereo input 3
Stereo Compressor out --> SM10 stereo input 4
Lexicon out --> SM10 stereo input 5
SM10 inputs 1 and 2 I wouldn't wire anything to because this is where the two mic inputs are and I would leave those available for that use.

SM10 Monitor mix out --> Stereo Compressor input (this is pre-fader send)
SM10 EFX out --> Lexicon input (this is a post-fader send)

This setup would work exactly how my current wiring scheme described above works.

The SM10 is more than it appears for a few reasons:

All inputs are balanced, which in the long run is a good thing to have in a mixer. They are also switchable between +4dBu and -10DBV operating levels.

Main stereo outputs are paralled -- so you could drive your power amp/cab and also have a dedicated (and balanced) feed for front of house or recording feed.

It has a headphone out on the front panel and a monitoring switch that allows the headphones to source either the main mix out, alternate mix B out, Monitor bus out, or EFX bus out. This is very handy to have.

There are master volume knobs for the main mix, Monitor mix, and EFX mix.

For a one rack-space mixer, it's pretty nice. For the price, it's very nice!

Anyway, check it out at the link above.

Chamai

« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Hey Chami,

Nice setup! I looked for some small rack mount line mixers yesterday just out of curiosity and this one, the Samson SM10, looks pretty good for a one rack space, especially for the price of $199.00

In the post I made earlier describing how I use my mixer you have to remember that all my channel strips are mono (except for two which I use for synth input). So when I said that my set up required 4 aux sends this was four mono aux sends being used as two stereo sends. So keep that in mind.

The SM10 has 10 stereo inputs (two of which have mic level xlr inputs along with line level TRS), four mix busses, and two dedicated stereo returns.

On each input channel you could mix to the main stereo outs, a stereo monitor out, and a stereo FX out. The monitor out is pre-fader and the FX out is post-fader, which is exactly what you want.

So on each input channel you have four knobs -- volume, balance, monitor send, fx send. Don't worry about the fact that the "monitor" and "fx" sends are named what they are -- think about them as separate stereo mixes.

So for example, if I was to wire this up so that it worked just like my current setup that I described above:

SM10 inputs 1 and 2 I wouldn't wire anything to because this is where the two mic inputs are and I would leave those available for that use.

This setup would work exactly how my current wiring scheme described above works.

All inputs are balanced, which in the long run is a good thing to have in a mixer. They are also switchable between +4dBu and -10DBV operating levels.

Main stereo outputs are paralled -- so you could drive your power amp/cab and also have a dedicated (and balanced) feed for front of house or recording feed.

It has a headphone out on the front panel and a monitoring switch that allows the headphones to source either the main mix out, alternate mix B out, Monitor bus out, or EFX bus out. This is very handy to have.

I will def look into this. as rnolan said, more sends the better because I might be adding more stuff to my setup and i want everything on a seperate channel. (80's style fridge rack!) I really want to rack mount the mixer instead of having it on top my the rack,
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Hey Chami,

I will def look into this. as rnolan said, more sends the better because I might be adding more stuff to my setup and i want everything on a seperate channel. (80's style fridge rack!) I really want to rack mount the mixer instead of having it on top my the rack, again thanks for the help guys!!! seems like all mixers with more sends have at least 16+ channels and they are massive. I looked at gtmm's Spirit Folio rack mount mixer , that thing is awesome but its insanely big.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

gtmm

« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

chamai,

Yeah, mixers/consoles/boards/desks never have enough aux sends. They also never have enough flexibility to assign busses pre or post fader. Never. Exception being all digital mixers like the Presonus Live series, and others. This is been true for as long as I've been an audio rat.  :lol:

One has to find a balance between the size the mixer takes in your rack, how much signal routing flexibility you need, quality of sound, and cost.

A more flexible mixer is probably the way to go, as I did. But, the physical size is a problem at times and of course the difference in cost is considerable. My Soundcraft Spirit was $2,300.00 new in 1996. I didn't pay that, I got it for free as I mentioned above.

Granted, the SM10 i referenced needs at least one more stereo aux bus, and then it might enter the realm of potentially awsome for a 1RU. :metal:

Cheers!

Chamai

« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

chamai,

Yeah, mixers/consoles/boards/desks never have enough aux sends. They also never have enough flexibility to assign busses pre or post fader. Never. This is been true for as long as I've been an audio rat.  :lol:

One has to find a balance between the size the mixer takes in your rack, how much signal routing flexibility you need, and quality of sound.

Cheers!

yea I noticed, I guess mixers are not really meant for guitar players. I guess it shouldn't be that bad just chaining a few units together. its still better than running my effects thru the mp1.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up