ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Rig Pix  (Read 192936 times)

Chamai

Re: Rig Pix
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

Nice set,maple shells ?

yeap, 4ply maple. you a drummer as well?
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

I'm pretty sure MJMP can count past 4 so he's not a drummer LOL (how come roadies can only count to 2 (one sstwo) coz if they could count to 4 they'd be drummers), to balance, how many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb, one and 100 who could do it better than that....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

Nice set,maple shells ?

Nope i'm not,although i wish i was.But my son is a drummer/marimba player.He has a Tama Starclassic maple 6 ply (BD 8ply).
He's a Portnoy fanatic as you can see  ;D 

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, nice  :thumb-up:

Chamai

« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, nice  :thumb-up:

sweet kit, must be a lot of fun setting up mics for that drum set.  :thumb-up:
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #110 on: Time Format »

Interesting point Chamai, I notice MJMP  has the kick mikes inside the drum, so lots of proximity effect but no time for the wavelength to develop properly and appart from standing waves inside the drum, less outer skin influence. I'd go a 57 inside aimed at edge, (proximity effect and 5khz cut) and a RE20 back off the drum a foot or so, more aimed at the middle (times 2 of course  >:D )

Chamai

« Reply #111 on: Time Format »

Interesting point Chamai, I notice MJMP  has the kick mikes inside the drum, so lots of proximity effect but no time for the wavelength to develop properly and appart from standing waves inside the drum, less outer skin influence. I'd go a 57 inside aimed at edge, (proximity effect and 5khz cut) and a RE20 back off the drum a foot or so, more aimed at the middle (times 2 of course  >:D )

Mixing up the kick drums this way gives it more of a click sound rather than a bass tone. For high speed double bass this gives the bass more clarity when going high speeds.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #112 on: Time Format »

And why I'd do the 2 x 57s inside aimed at the edge (5khz boost pick up the click) but then 2 x EVRE20 off the drum a bit to pick up the bottom end.
Drummer I used to play with managed to get double kick speed from one drum, awesome footwork. Go Wes LOL

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #113 on: Time Format »

I always stick my kick drum mic inside the drum, by about 4 inches.  I get lots of "doof doof" frequency below 100hz using a large diaphragm kick mic.  I use a cheapish one (everyone frown!!!!  >:( )  but I'm telling you it f**king works and I think it's a great quality mic.  I aim right at the pedals, I also get the drummer to take the outer (resonant)head off, so much easier than going through a little whole and I've seen it done 100000 times even on toms as well (with their resonant heads removed).

If I went too close I'd get rubbish with the proximity effect rnolan is talking about.  I also make sure I have the dampening material inside the drum laying somewhat on the inside of the batter head.

Anyways that's just me.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #114 on: Time Format »

Mixing up the kick drums this way gives it more of a click sound rather than a bass tone. For high speed double bass this gives the bass more clarity when going high speeds.

Yep that's why i do it this way,mics inside pointed to the beater..But you still get some good bass too.BTW the whole kit is miked except for the octobans.I use Audix mics,best mic's for drums IMO.Got 2 D6's for the bassdrums,2 D4's for the floortoms and 4 D2's for the toms and 2 I5's for the snare (top and bottem).Mics are mounted directly on the toms,the mounts are supplied with the mics if you buy the DP-7 ad DP-5 kits.For overheads and HH i use the ADX51 condenser mics from audix.
Those I5's are also good for guitar cabs.I usually mix a I5 and a SM57.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #115 on: Time Format »

I heard those Audix's where good.  Not the most expensive either.  I use the Samson Q kick.  It's cheap and I have not read a bad review about it, and I have saw plenty of people put it up against the Audix D6.  I use Samson Q toms on the toms (obviously), they have nearly the same response as an SM57.  Guess what MJMP, they are good for guitar micing also  ;)

Question (although we really off the point of this thread)

My drummer has stuck another tom on his kit, it is going towards the snare and hi hat direction to his left.  Pretty much means I cannot mic the snare now which I'm pissed off about.  Anyone any suggestions on how to fit it in?  How I like to mic the snare is using a mini boom, I have it pointed across the batter head and a little way inside the rim (thinkin about pulling it back however), I do not point at the skin (I used to but not now).

How the hell can I squeeze the mini boom in with the drummer and all his f__king stands for his cymbal and now this dame new tom!!!!!!  :facepalm:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #116 on: Time Format »

I only use mic stands for the overheads and the HH.For the rest i use these

http://www.thomann.de/be/audix_dvice_rimklemme_drumclip.htm for the floortoms and snare and these
http://www.thomann.de/be/audix_dflex_rimklemme.htm for the toms due to the starcast mounting system i can't use the other ones.Easy to put on and off and no mess with all those mic stands.

Chamai

« Reply #117 on: Time Format »

don't know much about micing. its a complete different game when you mic up huge drum sets. gotta worry about bleeding through and stuff. for kick drums, i like triggers. i always bring an e kit for gigs since most sound guys don't know wtf they are doing. at least i have some control on eq and volume.

sub forum for drummers!!!!!!!!!! :banana-dance:
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #118 on: Time Format »

I only use mic stands for the overheads and the HH.For the rest i use these

http://www.thomann.de/be/audix_dvice_rimklemme_drumclip.htm for the floortoms and snare and these
http://www.thomann.de/be/audix_dflex_rimklemme.htm for the toms due to the starcast mounting system i can't use the other ones.Easy to put on and off and no mess with all those mic stands.

I use a stand for the snare and kick, I don't mic the hi hat as I get enough in the over heads.

I don't use clips on the snare because of the subsonic crap you get.  I also find I can't adjust it properly as a clip is much to limiting.

Drummers have to be the most annoying people in bands.  They are so unhelpful.

MJMP, can I attach a regular mic clip to that audix vice?  I might try one and see what I think.  I see they do a clamp version also.  Failing that I might just have to mic the snare in a way that points at the rest of the drums unfortunatley.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #119 on: Time Format »

Go guys a good drum miking discussion  :thumb-up: There's no one way that's perfect, but here are some basic approaches and some principles to keep in mind.
First the drums need to be tuned well (very hit and miss in my experience LOL). If you run 2 heads/skins top and bottom, then there are a variety of tunings to suit (e.g. bottom head 5th below top etc.), and do you even bother to tune the kit to what pitch you are playing in ? (some say you should) and for each song ? and tune your delays and reverb times to the songs speed (which may change, and does). How pedantic do you go ? Hey up to you..
Here's a good simple kit miking IMHO, good pair of overheads, kick ((RE20/M88) about 12" away pointed a little off center). 57 on the snare angled to pick up some hats (hats, the most important drum that's not  drum as such). If the kit sounds good this will work well  :thumb-up:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Up