ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockman Chorus  (Read 14074 times)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
Rockman Chorus
« on: Time Format »

Hey all...

As I continue to experiment with my lovely Carl Martin Chorus XII, it's working okay, but I think using it (probably not the way it was intended) how I am is giving me a bit of grief here and there... I am running it after my ISP Theta Preamp so I'm getting line level vs. instrument level mix ups...

So, I'm trying to find a great 80's sounding chorus in a rack (line level) unit.

Does anyone have any experience with these:

Rockman Stereo Chorus
Boss RCE-10
Boss CE-300
Roland SBF-325
Line 6 Mod Pro

I'm looking for that super wide stereo separation that the MP-1 has built in and all the Gallien Krueger guitar stuff (2000cpl, 250 rl/ml) had.  The Carl Martin is great, but is there anything else out there in a rack format?  I just don't like the Lexicon chorus stuff... just doesn't give that super stereo feel... my old Rocktron Xpression can't do it either.

Let me know what 'chu all got!

EDIT:  I'd actually consider a Roland Dimension D if it wasn't so expensive!!
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

GuitarBuilder

Re: Rockman Chorus
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have quite a bit of experience with the Rockman Stereo Chorus.  It is a fantastic unit, studio quality.  The only caveat is that the electrolytic caps are likely at the end of their life and should be replaced, if that has not yet been done.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I've not used the Rockman rack chorus, but my Shultz XL100 had great chorus, he designed some great gear. So I think GB may on the money here.
My personal (very (very) subjective) view of roland and boss gear is it sounds muddy in much the same way Boogie amps are "very middy" so I wouldn't buy either brand.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the tips!

The Carl Martin and my memory of the GK and MP-1 is "warm and dark."  Like the coffee I'm about to drink...
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Enjoy, I'm about to top up my wine  :thumb-up:

El Chiguete

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Since ADA never made stand alonde chorus rack effect, could it be posible (and this is comming from my crazy and WAY too picky mad scientist part of my brain) build to maybe build one from the guts of a MP-1?

PS:
I think that what we are in love with the chorus in the MP-1 is the 180 degree split that the chorus signal does from let to right in the stereo no? This is something that allmost no other chorus effect does... and I think on the old forum someone mentiones 1 or 2 other ones that did that but I dont remember now  :facepalm: .
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Since ADA never made stand alonde chorus rack effect, could it be posible (and this is comming from my crazy and WAY too picky mad scientist part of my brain) build to maybe build one from the guts of a MP-1?

PS:
I think that what we are in love with the chorus in the MP-1 is the 180 degree split that the chorus signal does from let to right in the stereo no? This is something that allmost no other chorus effect does... and I think on the old forum someone mentiones 1 or 2 other ones that did that but I dont remember now  :facepalm: .

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about... the Gallien-Krueger stuff did that too and the Carl Martin does it as well... it's the only stand alone unit I've found that does that... I was hoping by descriptions that the Rockman Chorus does it as well... if anyone remembers any other units that do that, let me know!  No pedals!
-Adam

El Chiguete

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I think you and I have the same ¨isues¨ with line level going in to instrument level...

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

kawai2g4b

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

If you pray to the gear gods really really hard and be patient for a good price, you can try to get an Ibanez AD202 rack.  It is definitely well known for its delay capabilities but it also has doubler, chorus, and flanger modes.  In addition, it is completely analog.  The chorus is great and is better sounding than the already great Maxon designed CS9, is very versatile, and can either run line or instruments level.  Stereo ins and outs too.  The only drawback is that they go for $400 American if not more.  I got mine for $150 because the seller miss-spelled "Ibanez" on his listing header.  One Drawback is front-mounted jacks.

Also I just bought in an ADA TFX4 rack.  Similar setup to the AD202.  One concern is no stereo effect out though.  ADA Digitizer has a good chorus sound too.

I would go for the Ibanez overall though because you can get the chorus, but you also get one of the best delays ever created in the same package.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I just remembered the Digitech IPS33 Smart Shift also has really nice chorus (also built in tuner and 2 separate pitch shifts). I don't recall how good it was as I used the ADA chorus.

El Chiguete

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

ADA Digitizer has a good chorus sound too.

Does the Digitizer have the same chorus design as the MP-1?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

kawai2g4b

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Based on what I gather, the MP-1 is an analog circuit, and the Digitizer is a digital circuit.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Rockman Chorus is 100% analog as well.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

ranius

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

i guess that if your'e not on the budget for Dytronics cs-5 /TSC songbird 

( or the newer replicas - sheeva & fulltone TERC  )

than line 6's MOD PRO rack is really great . it has analog/tri chorus /dimension (roland type) .

if you some how want it in a pedal - it will be the boss DC-2 (roland dimension in a box -
 analog 100%).

El Chiguete

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

than line 6's MOD PRO rack is really great . it has analog/tri chorus /dimension (roland type) .

if you some how want it in a pedal - it will be the boss DC-2 (roland dimension in a box -
 analog 100%).

A Line6 with analog efects? I think thats the first time I hear that!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up