ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSS GX-700  (Read 9908 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
BOSS GX-700
« on: Time Format »

If anyone has a chance to grab one of these, do it. Why? I'm glad you asked. Watch out, there's  long post comin (ha ha)

First, it's a solid effects device. You can rearrange the order of the effects in every patch, it's easy to toggle them on/off with buttons on the faceplate, and there is a handy 'Channel Level' setting accessible from the faceplate as well for quick volume adjustments. (don't you hate it when one patch is just a bit too quiet compared to the others?)

Second, it's a preamp. No, it doesn't have toobs, and yes, the MP-1 or MP-2 sound a hell of a lot better on distortion, but if you have this in your rack, you have a backup in case your distortion machine craps out during a gig. It's not the greatest distortion or overdrive you ever heard, but it could get you through a gig.

Now, here's the part I didn't know about....I can use the MP-2's Quad switch (with the MXC controller) to control individual effects in the device!!! Wha?  So, here's how I have my Quad switch to operate:

1 = Delay toggle
2 = Pitch toggle (chorus/flange/harmonizer, etc)
3 = Solo Boost (by toggling a preamp model)
4 = Wild Card (for custom effects for particular songs)

I know that there are other devices (including toob preamps) out there that will support this functionality, but I just discovered this, so I'm excited :) Basically, if your midi effects device accepts midi control signals (and most do), you can assign the Quad switch buttons to a parameter based upon the midi program numbers inherent to the Quad switch.

From the manual, here are the default program numbers:
Switch One / Button One = 64
Switch One / Button Two = 65
Switch One / Button Three = 66
Switch One / Button Four = 67
Switch Two / Button One = 68 ....and so on

I can also use the expression pedal to control parameters, but I haven't gone that far yet. I'm sticking my MP-1 Classic + the GX-700 into a 2u rack for a grab-n-go rig that plugs directly into the PA.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: BOSS GX-700
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have been holed up in my studio all day today, and I must say, I am really diggin this setup.

Now, I have learned that I can switch more than one effect on/off with one button. I accidentally switched the delay and the EQ boost on and found a marvelous solo tone. Instant solo button.

I have a classic rock crunch and a modern rock crunch that I use almost on every song. I created an EQ setting that emulates a Boogie V-shape, and when I switch it on, instant Metal tone \m/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Go Dante, good to hear your having fun.  The quad switch will turn anything on/off that's assigned (assignable) to the specific controller number e.g. default button 1 = 64 so any on/off parameter in any midi device (that accepts the control signals) assigned to 64 will be affected.  You can also change the default control number assigned if you want (including the soft switch in the pedal(s) (i.e. full on press/click)) (handy if there's any conflict or it's toggling a parameter you don't want it to) (you do this in the MXC (press 9 + 7 on the MXC to access)). Although, once you go past toggling say 2 parameters with 1 button, it's probably easier to make a new program/patch combination. MIDI mapping can get your head spinning a bit, there's so many ways you can do/map it.

(I'm sticking my MP-1 Classic   the GX-700 into a 2u rack for a grab-n-go rig that plugs directly into the PA.) This should work better now you've discovered the additional options for your Classic cab sims  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

If it's anything like it's older brother, the Roland GP-100, it's an awesome device...

The GP-100 was very similar in set up and features... I loved mine while I had it.  The effects were indeed great.
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I know BOSS knows FX, so I trust their stuff. Plus, their stompboxes are built like a tank.  :thumb-up:

Using the Boogie combo with the Nova System made me rethink my patch management. The Nova is set up to give you a few preset patches with the added ability to use the other buttons on the board as individual stomp boxes, so you can toggle individual FX in each patch. I could literally get away with THREE patches for entire 4-hour gigs by doing this.

Now, I'm doing the same thing with these two rack units (which is a LOT less to carry) and I can assign 4 FX to control in the GX-700. Now that I've written a few patches, this seems to be the popular setup for me:

Quad Switch Button 1 = Delay on/off
Quad Switch Button 2 = Chorus/Flange/Modulation on/off (for a wet/dry option)
Quad Switch Button 3 = EQ/Compressor/Preamp on/off (for a solo boost)
Quad Switch Button 4 = Wah/Harmonizer/Rotary on/off (I can control the wah with the CC pedal, but I cannot get the BOSS to recognize the pedal's switch, so I use the Quad switch. No biggie)

So far, I've written one bank of patches, which should get me through a gig just fine. I will use one bank for each guitar (I usually bring 3 per gig, so I never have to change a broken string - ha ha)

I'll keep y'all posted

Dante
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

SCORE!!!

I just picked up another Boss GX-700 for $60!!!  :o

It works just fine and will now be paired with my MP-2 in lieu of the Quadraverb.

I'm STOKED  :whoohoo!:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Do you like the Boss more than the Quadverb ? (apart from the real time midi)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

It does everything the Quadraverb does, plus more. It works as a standalone preamp (I didn't really like the Quadraverb GT), I can rearrange the order of the FX, and I could never get the individual FX to toggle on/off in the Quadraverb like I can with the Boss.

Scoring this for $60 is just amazing  :crazy:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Nice find,60$ is cheap.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member