ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

Pawn Shop find: MP-1 v2.01

(1/2) > >>

Systematic Chaos:
While the wife and daughter were busy strolling through a mall in Yokohama I went to check out the Yokohama "Book-Off Super Bazar" (Book-Off is a huge pawn-/2nd hand shop chain in Japan).
In the third row in the music instruments section I recognized a familiar 19" design.
ADA Mp-1 v2.01, no top switch, serial 817xxx, 120V US version.
At 7000JPY (approx 65USD) it was a no brainer so I took it back home. Just opened it up to check out the innards:
Rev G PCB, the 2 original red letter labelled 12AX7A Nationals, bone stock, no mods.
The whole unit is really clean, but that's not what counts, right?!
Just fired it up (through my favorite ValhallIR Boogie Trad 4x12 IR). Works and sounds like a charm. Surprised by the low noise floor and even more surprised by the gain this one has on tap. Its easily en par with my old Super Stock modded V1.38 (and this v2.01 has its original tubes still in).
Nevertheless, threw in a pair of PM 12AX7HG, holy smokes. (I've really come to appreciate the current production Chinese tube offerings...check out the PM 12AX7HG or the Golden Dragon E83CC....huge and harmonically rich tone for a small $).
Anyway, I`ll be headed to Akihabara Electronic Town in Tokyo next week to gather the parts for the Noise Mod plus some extras.
Check out this clean faceplate:

bunkyloo:
Dang nice find that thing is clean

Chucky:
What a hit!! For $65!!! Daaaaamnnnnn!!!  :o :o :o :o

MikeB:
That's it! I'm moving to Japan. There's gold in them thar hills. :whoohoo!:

Dante:
No kidding! I'm ready to go too. That thing is so clean, it looks brand new.

For $65? Fuggettaboutit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version