Non ADA Gear > Guitars

The Hamer's Ready. Bring on the QuadTube!!!!1

<< < (3/3)

Dante:

--- Quote from: StanSki on March 30, 2018, 05:12:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dante on March 29, 2018, 06:20:01 PM ---Looks SWEET!

Lemme know how you like that bridge PU. I swear by the GFS Alnico 2 Vintage II for a neck PU, a very cheap alternative for the Seymour Duncan Jazz.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dante!

I really like the GFS Alnico Fat Pat in the neck. It's real 'woody'. Gots dat bluesy woo-doodly thick sound. Very Les Paulish. I don't know if you're getting me but it's exactly what I expected. Hit it with some serious gain and it goes for days. Clean it up and its full with punchy lows, clear mids, and nice round highs.

--- End quote ---

Funny, I think I know exactly that tone you speak of....my cheap-ass Epiphone Vee is a 'Korina model' and it has that 'woody' tone. I put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge (a moderate gain PU) and that guitar just has that 'woody' tone. I get compliments on that tone all the time - never my playing...just the tone. My SOLID Korina Explorer is the only other guitar that has that tone...it's got Gibson PAFs (also kinda low gain Pus). I love that low gain/medium gain pickup sound. You can get them plenty dirty and they clean up NICE.

rnolan:
I also like the lower/medium gain PUs, MP2 has plenty of gain (for what I want/need).  I love the Gibson 57 re-issues (in my Epihone SG), and the neck 59 PAF in my LP is just so creamy.  I initially tried a SD JB bridge and Alnico in the SG, mm ok but nothing special in that guitar (so they are in a box somewhere...) the 57s are sooo much better for me.
Though all that said, I still love the Ultrasonics (in my Anderson and neck of my tele).  If you ever trip over some of these (Ref3 (single coil size) and Ref 6 (humbucker size)) give them a go, they are still my favourites PUs of all I've tried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version