ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Board added for "ADA Cab Sims" in Other ADA Gear (coz El asked for it LOL)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech 2112  (Read 177 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • View Profile
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Digitech 2112
« on: Time Format »

Well lookie what showed up on Craigslist last night... a Digitech 2112 for $140  :thumb-up:

It's beat up, and dirty, but I plugged it in and all the lights came on. I hooked it up and it sounded awful....totally choked signal, barely audible. Then I realized, the input and output knobs were turned nearly all the way down  :facepalm:  So, I turned up the output and GREAT GOogLY MOoGLY, it was loud.  :o

I went through all the presets and found the ones I need to start with. There is some issue with one of the FX or a setting or whatever, but it results in an oscillating sound when you're not playing...YUK. It's not on all the patches, just a few, so if I can just avoid that effect, I'm good. There are tubes glowing in there, but I have no idea what they are or how old they must be.

I haven't even cracked the manual open yet, so I have yet to figure out if I can use my Quad switch with the SOLO button on this thing. Hopefully, I can. If not, I'll hook my GX-700 to it and use that.

It's 90s bliss, and a nice upgrade from the Behringer. Although, I am hanging on to the Behringer for emergencies. Once I clean up the 2112, I'll send some pix and sound clips.
ADA Gear: MP-1 Classic | MP-2 | MicroTube 200 | MicroFet | MXC

Kim

• Bringer of Doom
  • Administrator
  • Circle in the night, a fire within.
    • View Profile
    • Ov Moros
Re: Digitech 2112
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool!  You should name your Main Rig and Backup Rigs.  Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, etc.  :lol:
RIG OF FIRE:  ADA MP-2, Rocktron Xpression, Peavey Classic 60/60, Gator GPB-BAK-1 pedalboard, Korg DTR1000, Rolls MidiBuddy, Morley Tremonti wah, Saturnworks buffered splitter.
Mellotron/organ section:  EHX Mel9, EHX C9, EHX Soul Food, Boss LS-2, Morley Volume, Crate Powerblock.
Pair of 4x12 cabs:  each custom wired for both 2x12 guitar and 2x12 Mel9. UPDATED DIAGRAMS
HOME/STUDIO/COMBOS/STUFF:  ADA Quad Tube 150m, Crate G60XL, Saturnworks Saturn Fuzz, Boss CS-3.
GUITARS:  Jackson KE3-DiMarzio Breed/PAF Pro, Jackson KE3-DiMarzio Breed/PAF Pro, Silvertone P-bass, '70s Gretsch Dorado acoustic.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Cool. Throw in a fresh set of tubes and try the graph eq settings from my VGS2120 thread (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1974.msg22435#msg22435). Adjust gain to taste.
If you wanna get the most outta the 2112, invest another 25bucks and get the latest FW (http://www.nocrotec.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p120_Digitech-SGS-2112-to-2120-VGS-2-30-upgrade.html)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »
Fractal AxeFX II, Rocktron Velocity 150; DigiTech  2120Artist,Carvin Tube 100, Roland FC200//
Ibanez RGR620TKS, Ibanez RGR620TPS, Ibanez RG550Ltd BK, Ibanez RG7620MSOL, Ibanez RGR465MCA, Ibanez RGR765RCB, Ibanez RG620QMSP, Ibanez RG1420FBHB, Ibanez RGT42MDX, 90s ESP M-II Dlx //
DiMarzio CrunchLab/Evolution/Liquifire/AirNorton/HfH pups

Dante

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So, while I was perusing Craigslist again (always dangerous), I spied a combo amp. A tube combo. A Peavey Triumph 120. It has four 6L6s in it and one FOUR 12ax7s, One 12AT7, and it's stupid loud. It also weighs more than my Boogie did. It's a 1x12 120w monster. I didn't like the gains, but I didn't spend more than 10 seconds trying them and I don't intend to use them anyway. The clean is very nice. It weighs about as much as my Jeep and has tiny wheels, unlike my Jeep.

I ran the digitech 2112 into the input jack and wasn't impressed. I plugged into the FX return and promptly incited great amounts of feedback because the preamp's output was a bit high. Oops. The cat was pretty freq'd out. He's better now and I like the tones much better.

The stock patches are not great, I have yet to RTFM and start tweaking. I did arrange some basic patches into banks for later, but they need some work. I figured out how to move/save patches from the factory presets to user presets and so on, but the fine tuning of FX requires a bit of study first to save time. I'll get on it.

Kim: This is plan C. Plan D is the little Fly Rig I just picked up. Plan B is my main rig right now because I F'd up my plan A (the Classic) :(
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Dante

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I have read some of the manual and my Quad switch is now activating the SOLO button!! Woot!! I can assign at least 3 CC #s that I can tell - possibly more. I think I may need another quad switch - haha

I will be getting acquainted with this thing all day today, should have something to share by tonight.

Dante

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Cool. Throw in a fresh set of tubes and try the graph eq settings from my VGS2120 thread (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1974.msg22435#msg22435). Adjust gain to taste.
If you wanna get the most outta the 2112, invest another 25bucks and get the latest FW (http://www.nocrotec.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p120_Digitech-SGS-2112-to-2120-VGS-2-30-upgrade.html)

I will definitely check those settings, SC. Thank you! The tubes don't have a brand, they just say 5781 and have a few dots that look like braille, possibly a logo. I have a bunch of 12ax7s in my parts bin I can try later. I wonder if one tube controls clean, the other gain, or if they're both gain, or what??

Kim

• Bringer of Doom
  • Administrator
  • Circle in the night, a fire within.
    • View Profile
    • Ov Moros
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I had a Triumph 120 back in the day when it was a new model.  It was the head (not the combo) and it was unbelievably heavy for its size.  I also had the matching 4x12 cab which seemed like it weighed the same as the head.....    :lol:
RIG OF FIRE:  ADA MP-2, Rocktron Xpression, Peavey Classic 60/60, Gator GPB-BAK-1 pedalboard, Korg DTR1000, Rolls MidiBuddy, Morley Tremonti wah, Saturnworks buffered splitter.
Mellotron/organ section:  EHX Mel9, EHX C9, EHX Soul Food, Boss LS-2, Morley Volume, Crate Powerblock.
Pair of 4x12 cabs:  each custom wired for both 2x12 guitar and 2x12 Mel9. UPDATED DIAGRAMS
HOME/STUDIO/COMBOS/STUFF:  ADA Quad Tube 150m, Crate G60XL, Saturnworks Saturn Fuzz, Boss CS-3.
GUITARS:  Jackson KE3-DiMarzio Breed/PAF Pro, Jackson KE3-DiMarzio Breed/PAF Pro, Silvertone P-bass, '70s Gretsch Dorado acoustic.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well lookie what showed up on Craigslist last night... a Digitech 2112 for $140  :thumb-up:

It's beat up, and dirty, but I plugged it in and all the lights came on. I hooked it up and it sounded awful....totally choked signal, barely audible. Then I realized, the input and output knobs were turned nearly all the way down  :facepalm:  So, I turned up the output and GREAT GOogLY MOoGLY, it was loud.  :o

I went through all the presets and found the ones I need to start with. There is some issue with one of the FX or a setting or whatever, but it results in an oscillating sound when you're not playing...YUK. It's not on all the patches, just a few, so if I can just avoid that effect, I'm good. There are tubes glowing in there, but I have no idea what they are or how old they must be.

I haven't even cracked the manual open yet, so I have yet to figure out if I can use my Quad switch with the SOLO button on this thing. Hopefully, I can. If not, I'll hook my GX-700 to it and use that.

It's 90s bliss, and a nice upgrade from the Behringer. Although, I am hanging on to the Behringer for emergencies. Once I clean up the 2112, I'll send some pix and sound clips.

If I read the schematics correct both are either Tube Clean or Tube Dist.
The 2101/2112/2120 shipped with Sovtek 12AX7WA from the factory...definitely worth upgrading
Fractal AxeFX II, Rocktron Velocity 150; DigiTech  2120Artist,Carvin Tube 100, Roland FC200//
Ibanez RGR620TKS, Ibanez RGR620TPS, Ibanez RG550Ltd BK, Ibanez RG7620MSOL, Ibanez RGR465MCA, Ibanez RGR765RCB, Ibanez RG620QMSP, Ibanez RG1420FBHB, Ibanez RGT42MDX, 90s ESP M-II Dlx //

van Sinn

• Know Thy Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Good price for a 2112; good for you!
Didn't know the Quad could be used with those, so, additional CC buttons..

BTW, does your 2112 have dual S/Dish DSP's or 'just' a single?
It'll work just fine with one, but dual allows things like smoothly ringing-our one preset while ramping-up the next, when you switch presets; i.e. a smooth transition.
You can even specify a pre-delay for when the next presets is going to start ramping-up.

Dante

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

It is the S/Dish DSPs model, and I can smooooothly switch between patches. Pretty cool unit and it sounds great.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The 2112 and 2120 are identical in hardware - Dual S-Disc. Only difference is cosmetics (faceplate) and FW

Dante

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

My unit has some issues with oscillating noise, so I put the 2112 in the rack with my spare GX-700. I'll just use that for FX and use the 2112 for a preamp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up