ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Development History/Timeline  (Read 5625 times)

MP-1 Development History/Timeline
« on: Time Format »

(Mods please move if this isn't the right place to post this).

Has anyone compiled a history/timeline of the development and release of the MP-1, including firmware history and board revisions?

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information except for bits and pieces (Todd Langner being involved for one), so if anyone could point me in the right direction or provide a run down that would be greatly appreciated.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MP-1 Development History/Timeline
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well there were 7 board revisions, A to G and 5 firmware versions V1.36,V1.37,V1.38,V2.00 and V2.01.Of the midi board there were 2 versions.
Now for a timeline, we could do that if we compare the date codes on the IC's with the revision.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

No worries, moved to MP1 area.
So MJMP, Kim and Harley (who we haven't heard from for a bit) seem to have a decent handle on time lines etc.  I kind of know a bit about them from an Australian perspective as I used to do the guitar repairs for Pro Audio who were the Australian distributor (and Nunzio (the owner back then) is a friend of mine..).  But he didn't bring in everything (as I've found out later when I discovered the Depot many years ago).
So I bought one of the first MP1s Nunz imported (1987 ish ?), a V1 hardware unit (with top switch for Inst/line output level) probably 1.38 EPROM, and I upgraded the EPROM once along the way. MikeB now has this unit and has modernised it (MDRT, SS tube board, v2.01 EPROM, noise mod, battery mod, rear jack mod etc).  I sold it to Mike to buy the MP2 when it came into the country.  I don't think Nunz ever bought the MP1 classic to Australia  :dunno: as they came after the MP2.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ahh MJMP you snuck in will I was typing  :thumb-up:

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

No worries, moved to MP1 area.
So MJMP, Kim and Harley (who we haven't heard from for a bit) seem to have a decent handle on time lines etc.  I kind of know a bit about them from an Australian perspective as I used to do the guitar repairs for Pro Audio who were the Australian distributor (and Nunzio (the owner back then) is a friend of mine..).  But he didn't bring in everything (as I've found out later when I discovered the Depot many years ago).
So I bought one of the first MP1s Nunz imported (1987 ish ?), a V1 hardware unit (with top switch for Inst/line output level) probably 1.38 EPROM, and I upgraded the EPROM once along the way. MikeB now has this unit and has modernised it (MDRT, SS tube board, v2.01 EPROM, noise mod, battery mod, rear jack mod etc).  I sold it to Mike to buy the MP2 when it came into the country.  I don't think Nunz ever bought the MP1 classic to Australia  :dunno: as they came after the MP2.

That's fascinating. My MP-1 previously belonged to my Dad, who sold it to my uncle who I bought it back from. From memory he ordered it from pro audio at a similar time!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

There was nothing else like them in the day, suddenly I could have 128 sounds at whatever level compared to one another, and run it all in stereo, never looked back  :metal: .

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I'd actually be really interested in a comprehensive coffee table book about ADA as a company, but especially the MP1 as it is such a unique unit, but there's not a whole lot of information about its history.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75
Pages: [1]   Go Up