ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod

(1/37) > >>

herbyguitar:
I'm considering doing an overhaul to my MP1 V2. I have replacement tubes. I'd like to also replace internals that should be replaced (caps, transformer, whatever needs replacing). I've already done the battery mod. I 'think' I'd also like to install a MOD4.

Reason for choosing MOD 4: Marshall. It's the only mod that doesn't have cons in the descriptions and also does not sacrifice too much of the clean tube sound... besides, I like the idea of harmonics (it was in the description). Something hard to come by with a strat. I don't need a lot of gain. I know what I want... I think. I just don't know if I'm up to doing it myself... schematics are Greek to me.

Also, any advice will be appreciated.

Alternative: Overseas shipping and labor to have this done would be expensive...

herbyguitar:
Well... after doing a lot of searching, reading, and weighing the differences. It sounds like what I'm looking for is more in the 3TM mod. It looks like everyone really likes the transformer swap also. So... I'll be changing directions.

Is there anyone reliable in the US that can do these mods? [edit] Nope. I'm doing it myself. Wish me luck...

herbyguitar:
In the 3TM mod there is a trim pot that's added to the main board. What does this pot do?

rnolan:
Hey herby, I suspect the trim pot is a gain adjustment  :dunno: , but others will know better than me.  If you don't want outrageous gain and want to keep reasonable clean sound capability, then I don't think 3TM is the way to go for you.  E.g. MJMP uses a 3TM for distorted sounds (coz he plays metal  >:D ) but uses a MP-2 for cleans.
Re doing it yourself, we can help talk you through it, it isn't (mostly) too hard to do.  You do need a decent temperature controlled soldering iron, though they are not that expensive (eg a Duratech TS1513 (which I bought) or similar) and a few other bibs and bobs (like a solder sucker and/or solder wick).  That said, any decent tech should have no problems doing the mods for you, buy the bits from MJMP (or source yourself) and get them to follow the instructions.
You don't need to understand schematics, all you need is the PCB layout to locate/find the various components you need to change out.

This is what I would do (advice LoL):
If your unit is a V1 (ie inst/line switch on top), do the rear jack mod first (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm) this will get you into it, replace the front and rear input jacks and turn the rear jack into inst level (and isn't hard to do).
Do the MDRT and a new tube board, I'd go with the SS Mod tube board (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/ada%20mp1%20ss%20mod.htm), a bit more gain, but otherwise upgraded stock tubeboard, modernised.  Now IIRC the MDRT install requires a change on the tubeboard, so get it from MJMP MDRT ready (and a MDRT) and do them at the same time (this should be rather easy to do and you wont have to change the tubeboard component(s)).  The only place you can buy a new MDRT is from MJMP, he gets a batch of them made from time to time to keep us all happy  :thumb-up: .  So it makes sense (well to me) to just get him to send everything you need (a nice little box will turn up with all the bits and include ADA Depot stickers  :whoohoo!: ).

And last, do the noise mod, this is changing out the old caps.
Oh and maybe EPROM ?  The last EPROM is 2.01, when you turn the unit on it will display the version.
Then either get a tech to do it (in the order above, or all at once), or do it yourself with some help and encouragement from us here  :thumb-up:

Harmonics you can chase (to some extent) with tube choice eg try a pair of New Sensor Mullard Long plates (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-12ax7.html), they just sing mmmm

herbyguitar:
I have never run the (stock) MP1 full gain. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of gain at hand for me. I just need tighter and quieter. The tone of the (stock) MP1 is fine. EQ wise, I have a 3 band parametric and a 7 band linear in the 1101 which is running after the MP1. I won't be adding anything to the front end or the effects loop of the MP1. Things in front seem to always add noise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version