Let's Get Technical > All PREAMP Tech Tips & Support

Cooling your Rack

<< < (2/5) > >>

rabidgerry:
All useful information here guy's.

I guess there is no need for me to go to the lengths that you did MJMP

Sinn, not sure how I could do such a thing with my 3U and soon to be 4U ABS plastic rack case.

Kim, well the fact you've done it before sounds like it's the way to go then.   My poweramp (Rocktron Velocity   :thumb-up:) has a fan also but I want to keep the air moving and also help cool the amp and preamp down.  My other poweramp did not have a fan and did not get as hot so I don't think I really needed cooling, where as the velocity gets hot, and if it's mounted below a preamp that is also getting hot then their going to heat each other, so time for some help I think in the way of an extra fan.

Harley, cool 6" fan isn't to large then to be pointed into a 3u and possibly 4U case?  Ok not it's just about sourcing a fan.

Here is another question, my power fan seems to blow air out the top, if the preamp or any other unit is mounted above this, this will restrict the cooling right?  So I should have a space then? 

rnolan:
Hey RG, if you put a 1RU space above the poweramp you probably don't need an additional fan (not that it hurts).  Also for the preamp, one trick is to use the little stick on rubber "feet" that came with the MP-1 (or similar (a bit like what Kim was saying), this ensures reasonable airflow under the preamp (which I mount on top as then you have a bit of rack air above it as well).  MP-1s don't get as hot as MP-2s. With my MP-2 rig, the MP-2 is at the top, then QV underneath (which is no where near as deep), I prefer a space above my B200s as its heat sinks are on the top and it gets quite hot. Also have the rack open front and back, I've never had an issue with heat over the past 25 + years, but typically I'm only running one preamp.  Putting a MP-1 or MB-1 under an MP-2 (all turned on) then a fan is a good idea...

Soloist:
Hey RG, I still use the clip fan. Works great! I also leave a 1 ru space between all my preamps and power amps. I  know it's hard to do with smaller racks though. However by just adding a clip fan will lower your rack temp tremendously  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP:
Well an MP-2 gets pretty hot and so does the mp-1 after a while so I decided to put some fans in there. I had the blind plate and fans lying around and it took less then an hour to install, much cooler now. And if needed I can switch it off. Maybe I'll install a few more fans in it to get even more airflow.

rabidgerry:
lets get one thing straight, as much as I would love a "fridge" sized rack, it's pointless since I can't take it anywhere and (for example) when I travel to Malta next year I can hardly demand from the promoters

"now since I am traveling guys you will need to supply with me 1 Ada MP1, a Peavey Rockmaster, a rockman Instrument EQ, a Boss NS-50, a Boss SX700, a digitech ISP33 and a Furman PC, "  (I could add more  :facepalm:)

"if you don't supply...........I no come to play ya here??"

So realistically I cannot go the full haul such as you have MJMP, however I most certainly would had I the road crew and the private jet.

Hey Soloist, can you send me a pic of your fan?  I'm using a 3U at the moment but I think I will be expanding  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: to a 4U to allow for the extra space between Power amp and Preamp...................or have the PA in a separate smaller case.  Anyways I should have plenty of space to have a clip fan facing into the back of the rack.

How big is the rack you cart around Soloist?

Guy's should I get a fan for my home studio rack? It's not enclosed, it's open but the stuff is stacked with no spaces.

MJMP, I definitely think MP1s get hot, not critical, but I can see a fan for one being useful all the same.  Why is MP2 running hotter normally?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version