ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mixing Frets"  (Read 932 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
    • View Profile
"Mixing Frets"
« on: Time Format »

I once played a friends guitar from a German Luthier, Siggi Braun Fine Young Guitars, which had a mixed set of frets. Regular Jumbos (6100) on frets 1 through 11 and narrow Jumbos (6105) on frets 12 through 24.
While having the same crown height the 6100s have a wider width than the 6105s and the playability and feel, especially high up the fretboard was awesome.
Now my latest RGR620 came with a fret dress but them frets (being 21 years old) were already way down.
I found a young luthier here in Tokyo who just opened his own guitar shop and we discussed the mixing frets option and I let him refret the RGR620 with Jescar EVO fretwire (which I prefer over Stainless Steel) with the mixing frets option....I couldn't be any happier!!!!
Left of the 12th: 6100 size  -  Right of the 12th: 6105 size

BTW, we're talking lowest possible action, a flatout straight neck (no relief) and absolutely no string buzz at all!!!
And check out that Rosewood.....almost black!!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »
Fractal AxeFX II, Rocktron Velocity 150; DigiTech  2120Artist,Carvin Tube 100, Roland FC200//
Ibanez RGR620TKS, Ibanez RGR620TPS, Ibanez RG550Ltd BK, Ibanez RG7620MSOL, Ibanez RGR465MCA, Ibanez RGR765RCB, Ibanez RG620QMSP, Ibanez RG1420FBHB, Ibanez RGT42MDX, 90s ESP M-II Dlx //
DiMarzio CrunchLab/Evolution/Liquifire/AirNorton/HfH pups

Dante

• Administrator
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • View Profile
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: "Mixing Frets"
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

That is pretty dang awesome!! I love the concept

I also love that I can see the reflections of your strings in the frets & they're VERY close to each other = low action. NOICE
ADA Gear: MP-1 Classic | MP-2 | MicroTube 200 | MicroFet | MXC

rnolan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Very cool SC  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

That is pretty dang awesome!! I love the concept

I also love that I can see the reflections of your strings in the frets & they're VERY close to each other = low action. NOICE

+1

I would do that on a guitar I'm working on...
It has vintage small frets...and I was thinking about 6100 or 6105...and now I have the solution: MIX THEM!  :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon
On the run again!

ADA MP-1 (modified by MJMP)
Marshall JMP1
TC Electronic G Major
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Zoom 9150
Advance Tube Technologies TA '70 tube power amp
Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp
ADA B200s power amp
Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller
Zoom 8050 MIDI Controller
Zoom FP01 Expression pedal
Blackstar HTV 212 stereo cabinet with 70/80 Celestion speakers
Rivera Pubster 25
Blackstar Fly 3 amp + external speaker

Stomps, stomps, stomps...and stomps (Bogner rules!): TC Helix phaser, Xotic RC Booster, TC Sentry noise gate, Bogner Ecstasy Blue, Bogner Ecstasy Red, Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, TC Flashback delay

1987 PRS Custom
1988 Fender Strat Plus
2014 Fender Modern Player Strat
2016 Custom assembled Fender Strat
2013 Gibson SG Standard
1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio
1991 MIJ Ibanez RG570FM TB
2016 MIJ Ibanez RG655M SPM
2002 Bruno Traverso Custom "Tommy" Silky
2017 Kramer Baretta Special
2010 Simon & Patrick Woodland CW acoustic

Harley Hexxe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Nice SC :thumb-up:

That is what Jake E. Lee had on his signature Charvel Strat. The new one he has is an identical copy of that old guitar, but with a mahogany, (I think), neck on it.

Harley 8)
Cool is a rule, and Creativity is KING!

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Its beautiful!  :bow:
And it's bugging me that I can't touch it :facepalm:
I don't feel tardy!

MarshallJMP

• View Profile
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Wauw great idea, never even thought of mixing fret wire.

rabidgerry

• HEAVY METAL
    • View Profile
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

now I'm not saying I invented this idea  :crazy:, but I discussed the exact same thing with my local luthier one time also because I found with my fat fingers it's very difficult to fret the same way on frets past the 12.  It really is a good idea.  Did I trust my local luthier to do this?  Well lets just say I haven't bit the bullet yet!  I have other issues to worry about with guitars before I start asking for custom fret jobs!  I also played around with the idea of different levels of frets to create a more even feel up the neck.

Frets anger me most than any other thing with guitars, probably because that and wood work are the two areas I cannot fix or deal with myself.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GT5 Amps:  Harley Benton GPA400 - Rocktron Velocity 300
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"

Kim

• Bringer of Doom
  • Administrator
  • Circle in the night, a fire within.
    • View Profile
    • Ov Moros
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I've never heard of this before but it sure does seem like an interesting idea. 

SC, may I ask about how much that cost to have done? 

While I wouldn't care for having the string action quite that low, I like the possibility of a little less fat-fingering up on the higher frets.
RIG OF FIRE:  ADA MP-2, Rocktron Xpression, Peavey Classic 60/60, Gator GPB-BAK-1 pedalboard, Korg DTR1000, Rolls MidiBuddy, Morley Tremonti wah, Saturnworks buffered splitter.
Mellotron/organ section:  EHX Mel9, EHX C9, EHX Soul Food, Boss LS-2, Morley Volume, Crate Powerblock.
Pair of 4x12 cabs:  each custom wired for both 2x12 guitar and 2x12 Mel9. UPDATED DIAGRAMS
HOME/STUDIO/COMBOS/STUFF:  ADA Quad Tube 150m, Crate G60XL, Saturnworks Saturn Fuzz, Boss CS-3.
GUITARS:  Jackson KE3-DiMarzio Breed/PAF Pro, Jackson KE3-DiMarzio Breed/PAF Pro, Silvertone P-bass, '70s Gretsch Dorado acoustic.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I've never heard of this before but it sure does seem like an interesting idea. 

SC, may I ask about how much that cost to have done? 

While I wouldn't care for having the string action quite that low, I like the possibility of a little less fat-fingering up on the higher frets.

Kim,
the job itself is no big deal for a luthier, just a refret with 2 different fretwires which do not need a different treatment in terms of work involved (same crown height).
I paid ~250$ for the job including all material and work. The going price for a complete refret is generally 200$~300$, depends on whether you have a neck with binding (slight upcharge) and the fret material you wanna have (Stainless Steel also commands an upcharge since it's more difficult to work with).
Most important: I'd only let a trustworthy luthier perform a refret.

If done correct, a refret (or a good fret job in general) takes the playability and feel of a guitar to another level.
I have two more RGs whose frets are way past their prime which will get the same treatment in the near future.
Fractal AxeFX II, Rocktron Velocity 150; DigiTech  2120Artist,Carvin Tube 100, Roland FC200//
Ibanez RGR620TKS, Ibanez RGR620TPS, Ibanez RG550Ltd BK, Ibanez RG7620MSOL, Ibanez RGR465MCA, Ibanez RGR765RCB, Ibanez RG620QMSP, Ibanez RG1420FBHB, Ibanez RGT42MDX, 90s ESP M-II Dlx //
DiMarzio CrunchLab/Evolution/Liquifire/AirNorton/HfH pups

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Magnus....can you let me know Jescar EVO models matching Dunlop 6100 and 6105?
I've a project where I would love those mixed frets...

Can you ask your luthier? Since it's not easy for me to identify the right fretwires here:

https://www.jescar.com/product-category/fretwire/wirealloy/evo-gold/

Thanks a lot in advance!  :banana:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

ADA MP-1 (modified by MJMP)
Marshall JMP1
TC Electronic G Major
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Zoom 9150
Advance Tube Technologies TA '70 tube power amp
Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp
ADA B200s power amp
Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller
Zoom 8050 MIDI Controller
Zoom FP01 Expression pedal
Blackstar HTV 212 stereo cabinet with 70/80 Celestion speakers
Rivera Pubster 25
Blackstar Fly 3 amp + external speaker

Stomps, stomps, stomps...and stomps (Bogner rules!): TC Helix phaser, Xotic RC Booster, TC Sentry noise gate, Bogner Ecstasy Blue, Bogner Ecstasy Red, Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, TC Flashback delay

1987 PRS Custom
1988 Fender Strat Plus
2014 Fender Modern Player Strat
2016 Custom assembled Fender Strat
2013 Gibson SG Standard
1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio
1991 MIJ Ibanez RG570FM TB
2016 MIJ Ibanez RG655M SPM
2002 Bruno Traverso Custom "Tommy" Silky
2017 Kramer Baretta Special
2010 Simon & Patrick Woodland CW acoustic

van Sinn

• Know Thy Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Yup, mixing frets isn't that uncommon, though I guess most never even heard of it.
It absolutely makes a lot of sense, leaving more playable fretting space up there where it tightens up.

While talking about fret width, I never liked jumbo frets, preferring medium.
This changed with my Vintage V6 Fillmore stratcat, outfitted with hard-alloy old-school slim frets.
They do feel a touch too low for my taste, so I'd prefer medium fat frets combined with quite slim ones on the high part. German hard-alloy (SiCuO) wire, of course ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up