Non ADA Gear > Guitars

"Mixing Frets"

(1/3) > >>

Systematic Chaos:
I once played a friends guitar from a German Luthier, Siggi Braun Fine Young Guitars, which had a mixed set of frets. Regular Jumbos (6100) on frets 1 through 11 and narrow Jumbos (6105) on frets 12 through 24.
While having the same crown height the 6100s have a wider width than the 6105s and the playability and feel, especially high up the fretboard was awesome.
Now my latest RGR620 came with a fret dress but them frets (being 21 years old) were already way down.
I found a young luthier here in Tokyo who just opened his own guitar shop and we discussed the mixing frets option and I let him refret the RGR620 with Jescar EVO fretwire (which I prefer over Stainless Steel) with the mixing frets option....I couldn't be any happier!!!!
Left of the 12th: 6100 size  -  Right of the 12th: 6105 size

BTW, we're talking lowest possible action, a flatout straight neck (no relief) and absolutely no string buzz at all!!!
And check out that Rosewood.....almost black!!!

Dante:
That is pretty dang awesome!! I love the concept

I also love that I can see the reflections of your strings in the frets & they're VERY close to each other = low action. NOICE

rnolan:
Very cool SC  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .

Iperfungus:

--- Quote from: Dante on March 08, 2017, 08:47:11 PM ---That is pretty dang awesome!! I love the concept

I also love that I can see the reflections of your strings in the frets & they're VERY close to each other = low action. NOICE

--- End quote ---

+1

I would do that on a guitar I'm working on...
It has vintage small frets...and I was thinking about 6100 or 6105...and now I have the solution: MIX THEM!  :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon

Harley Hexxe:
Nice SC :thumb-up:

That is what Jake E. Lee had on his signature Charvel Strat. The new one he has is an identical copy of that old guitar, but with a mahogany, (I think), neck on it.

Harley 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version