ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

How long have you had your MP-1?

<< < (2/6) > >>

MarshallJMP:
I have too much I know  :facepalm:

rnolan:
No MJMP, you can't have to many  >:D And anyone who says you can't play them all at once is wrong (but you'd need a decent input splitter and a 24 ch desk LoL) Wow wall of (7) MP1s'  :whoohoo!: And that's doing it simply, you could get even more creative and use MP1s in other MP1 loops  (and then there's all the great ADA FXs you have  >:D >:D ).
I bought my first MP1 in maybe 87 or 88 ?  it was one of the first batch to come to Australia. I sold it to MikeB in ~95  :dunno: so I could buy the new MP2.  My first MP2 died at a gig not long after I bought it  :facepalm: (only catastrophic failure I've ever had with ADA preamps BTW). Fortuitously, Mike was at the gig and lived down the street, so he wizzed home a lent me my former MP1 for the night (go Mike, still very appreciated my friend  :thumb-up: ).  So I swapped that unit for a new one which is still in my live rack today, only change is new tubes.  I have 3 other MP2s (I started buying them as there still isn't a replacement I like and they are getting on..).  I have one in my studio rack and the other 2 gather dust (which I'm not thrilled about..).  I also have 2 MB1s' they came from the US and have both been to MJMP for a refresh and MDRT transformers. One in my live rack and one in the studio rack, they both get used regularly..
I recently bought 2 MP1s, 1 240v AU model (has issues which eventually I'll solve) and 1 US model (seems to be a decent solid unit), I know little about either of them except I bought them from a guy in my home town Newcastle, one has battery mod (IIRC the 240v one). When I get some head space I'll get them both optimal and add one to the live rack and one to the studio rack.
I still need a 240v MP1 Classic, they didn't make it to Australia (as far as I know).

DannyjoeCarter:

--- Quote from: rnolan on February 21, 2017, 05:25:46 AM ---No MJMP, you can't have to many  >:D And anyone who says you can't play them all at once is wrong (but you'd need a decent input splitter and a 24 ch desk LoL) Wow wall of (7) MP1s'  :whoohoo!: And that's doing it simply, you could get even more creative and use MP1s in other MP1 loops  (and then there's all the great ADA FXs you have  >:D >:D ).
I bought my first MP1 in maybe 87 or 88 ?  it was one of the first batch to come to Australia. I sold it to MikeB in ~95  :dunno: so I could buy the new MP2.  My first MP2 died at a gig not long after I bought it  :facepalm: (only catastrophic failure I've ever had with ADA preamps BTW). Fortuitously, Mike was at the gig and lived down the street, so he wizzed home a lent me my former MP1 for the night (go Mike, still very appreciated my friend  :thumb-up: ).  So I swapped that unit for a new one which is still in my live rack today, only change is new tubes.  I have 3 other MP2s (I started buying them as there still isn't a replacement I like and they are getting on..).  I have one in my studio rack and the other 2 gather dust (which I'm not thrilled about..).  I also have 2 MB1s' they came from the US and have both been to MJMP for a refresh and MDRT transformers. One in my live rack and one in the studio rack, they both get used regularly..
I recently bought 2 MP1s, 1 240v AU model (has issues which eventually I'll solve) and 1 US model (seems to be a decent solid unit), I know little about either of them except I bought them from a guy in my home town Newcastle, one has battery mod (IIRC the 240v one). When I get some head space I'll get them both optimal and add one to the live rack and one to the studio rack.
I still need a 240v MP1 Classic, they didn't make it to Australia (as far as I know).

--- End quote ---

Richard reading your response and a few others on different threads I think I'm seeing a pattern here as in, the MP-1s that regardless of their age, it seems that as long as they have stayed in use they are fine!  :o
 I'm beginning to think they are like the old Marshall you pull out that hasn't been turn on in 20 years and the caps smoke after a few minutes when you fire it up for the first time again.
 A little story - My friend Felice in Riverside California and I were hanging out at his place during the NAMM show of 2014 and I begged him to get out his 78' JMP 50 watter and fire it up. I knew about NOT doing that if hit had not been played for a while but he did not! We got so excited about hearing it that we plugged it all in and I hit a chord and listened for a second - then went into a little solo and then it sounded fizzy then smoke came out of the grill on top of the head  :facepalm:

Well I talked to him 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't bothered to get that amp fixed because he is so into playing his rack gear he doesn't care  :o

My point is I think these MP-1 are the same way; digging them out of the closet after 20 years of none use is causing most of these issues.

rnolan:
Hey DjC, so if you don't use it, loose it ? I could take a spiritual angle on it, everything's alive in one way or another and left alone will always seek/slip to entropy (caos)... (BTW there is probably allot of truth in this thought but it will probably spin some people out). But if you don't want you atoms (well more particularly the quarks they are made of) to runaway back into the cosmos (which is there natural inkling/predilection), you need to give them something to do that makes you happy (ie turn it on and use it). I'm reasonably convinced that quarks just want to make us happy  :headbanger: , particularly the rock quarks (and RGs Metal quarks) LoL. But they do get board just hanging around.  I'd extend this thought bubble as to why you shouldn't let just anyone play your guitar (not just their (sometimes) corrosive sweat, but also their vibe... So then I'd postulate it's a little bit important who owned your MP1 before you and what they did with and to it...

Iperfungus:

--- Quote from: rnolan on February 22, 2017, 02:09:19 AM ---(BTW there is probably allot of truth in this thought but it will probably spin some people out).
--- End quote ---

There's a lot of truth in that, indeed...generally speaking.
The curious Universe's structure that's under the surface in quantum reality tells it.

But being more down to earth, this also happens with musical instruments: everytime someone gives me a bass or a guitar to restore, especially if in generally bad shape, after my work is done...I can feel those instruments back to life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version