ADA Preamps > MP-2

NEW To Racks - Have ADA Gear - please advise

<< < (2/9) > >>

MRob:
Wow!  Thank you to everyone here!  You guys are great!! 

A lot of info here, looks like I have a lot more to think about than I had expected.  I'm off all next week, so will get started with things and keep you all posted here.

I greatly appreciate the time and dedication you all put into helping us newbies!   :headbanger:

MarshallJMP:
The hush does need to be put before any time based effects like a delay and reverb, else the tail of the delay or reverb could be cut off to early when it goes below the threshold of the hush.

Harley Hexxe:

--- Quote from: MRob on November 17, 2016, 07:46:03 PM ---Wow!  Thank you to everyone here!  You guys are great!! 

A lot of info here, looks like I have a lot more to think about than I had expected.  I'm off all next week, so will get started with things and keep you all posted here.

I greatly appreciate the time and dedication you all put into helping us newbies!   :headbanger:

--- End quote ---

That's why we're here :thumb-up:

*MJMP is absolutely correct about the Hush unit, but you may find you don't really need it, (until you get bitten by the bug and get a MP-1).

rnolan:
Hey MRob, welcome to the depot, some good advice already coming your way I see  :thumb-up: .  And you have the makings of one of the best analogue guitar racks available on the planet IMHO.
I'll be a little more opinionated (as your rack will be very similar to mine), forget the hush, sell it you don't need it, the MP2 noise gate will work just fine for really high gain settings, for middle to lower gain (MP2 voices 6 or less) you don't need a gate (or your gain structure is not good).  Run the FX in the MP2 stereo loop as this will let you use the cab sim outputs for recording and still have FXs on it (should you want to).  You need minimum 4 RU rack but as MJMP says good to have more space to add to (he's got 18RU  :facepalm: ).  My rack is 8RU but I have a small mixer velcroed to the bottom of it.  6 RU is a good in between and will still fit in your car boot, 8RU fits in some boots but not all (a bit of practicality).  Mount the MP2 at the top of the rack, this gives it a bit of "breathing space" between top of the rack and MP2, they do get hot, ideally leaving a 1/2 to 1 RU gap is a good idea for cooling but not essential, I've run my MP2 like this for years with no problem (and I'm in Australia, not known for being a cold place LoL).  Unless you have power issues in your area or where you intend to use this rig you also don't need the furman, I've never needed one or similar unless I play off a generator (which are sometimes dodgy) and then a $200 computer UPS works better and is heaps cheaper (others here may disagree but this is my extended experience with MP2 rigs) and the only time you'd really need power conditioning.  If you do want to use the furman, mount it at the bottom so your MP2 is the top unit and can breathe. Put you FX under the MP2 (as doesn't get as hot) followed by poweramp.  Connect cabs in stereo (like already suggested), ADA rigs just melt you when in stereo, even if the cabs aren't perfectly the same (obviously make sure the speaker power ratings (watts) and impedance (ohms) matches the power amp.

The main commercially available racks (SKB, Gator etc) seem to come in 3 depths, shallow, in-between and deep.  The in-between racks suit ADA rigs the best as the ADA units are 10.5 inches deep (e.g. SKB ATA rack, these are the older style SKB racks and are harder to find but they are perfect).  The shallow racks can work (e.g. SKB Roto rack) but you'll need to have right angled jack patch leads and there's less room for MP2 to cool/breathe.  The deep racks are a bit too deep but have more room for a powerboard etc (or as suggested to mount the furman from the back). Though I'd suggest sell the hush and the furman and use the $s to buy the rack.
From the little bit in the corner of your pic (as MJMP noted) it seems you have the ADA MXC midi pedal ?? If you got the standard MP2 pedal pack it should also have a 7 pin midi lead, 1 x expression pedal, a quad switch and a wall wart to phantom power the pedal via the back of the MP2.

MRob:
Wow! You guys are GREAT!  Thanks so much once again. 

Ok, so I have the units together now, but not hooked up.  I have "some clue" where to start from reading here, but looking at the back I have no clue how to get these all hooked up! 

I am posting another pic or two so you can better see the rig in full.  And yes, as some have mentioned, I have these two foot switches... Not sure what the small one is for, but they are in the pics below.

I just got the Hush... it's a newer model and I picked it up for $49.00!  I'm sure I could sell it as mentioned, but I would like to hook it up in my system and see what it does or doesn't do for me.  If not needed, I will sell it.

Also, I was just planning on running this through my 1x12 ported Mesa cab for simplicity.   It sounds like most recommend using two cabs and running stereo?   Will the 1x12 alone not sound good?
IF I do use two cabs should they be set apart from each other?   (I've never ran anything stereo before)

IF stereo is that much better then I will consider getting another Mesa 1x12 cab to match.

I've been chasing the 80s sound for a long time and have had many amps to include a Mark V that I sold!  (sellers regret)  BUT it was a pain to tweak and was also noisy and I just couldn't get what I wanted with it.   When I hear the MP2 on youtube I "hear it!"  I hear the sound that I've been looking for!  And that's on freakin Youtube!  I'm sure it's gonna sound great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version