ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on hooking up several pre amps  (Read 17138 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Advice on hooking up several pre amps
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

All the inputs and outputs on the AM802 are at the back (as are all the in/outs to my various gadgets, only front inputs are guitar/bass > MP-2 or MB-1), I have it velcroed to the bottom of my 8Ru live rack (industrial wide velcro), MP-2 main A/B > ch 1/2 (panned hard L/R), MP-2 cab sim outs > ch 3/4, MB-1 Full range out > ch 5.  Aux 1/2 to Quadverb L/R, Aux 3 > midiverb4 L(mono). QV L/R out > stereo ch 7 L/R, MV4 L/R out st ch 8. Main out L/R > poweramp > cabs
The Phonic stuff is (in my experience) fairly reasonable, they sound ok (not particularly coloured) I use a phonic dual 31 band eq in the PA rack for FOH. It shouldn't add too much noise (what it does you probably won't notice as it's so small (I'm being (very) pedantic here BTW). A patch bay is a very different beast to a mixer.  It's just designed to let you patch (with yet another lead) the individual inputs and out puts of various things, not mix various things together.  Their main use is when you have lots of different bits of kit (eg in a studio) that are not located near one another, to provide a convenient way of plugging them in (to wherever you want to).  At the heart of a patch bay set up is a desk (to mix it all together).

Your mm1002 is very usable for a guitar rig, and also bringing in a few different preamps. So it basically has 5 available stereo pairs (albeit only ch 1/2 with gain and eq), 1 mono Aux send and 4 stereo outputs (main L/R, cntrl R L/R, HP L/R, rec L/R), all controlled by the master fader (I haven't read the manual (just going off the pic) so possibly Aux one feeds the cntrl R ? or HPs ? as well/or instead of the Aux out jack ?)).

So if I were using it, I'd plug my main preamp (MP-2) into ch 1 & 2 (select line), pan them hard L/R, adjust gain (red light on then back off till it blinks occasionally).  Plug Aux out to Fx L (mono) input on multi FX gadget, turn up Aux on 1 & 2 (start 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock ?) adjust Fx input for decent level, return it L/R into (9/10)  (make sure ch 9/10 Aux send is OFF or bad feedback  :facepalm: ). Main outs to poweramp L/R > cabs.  Adjust volumes (poweramp 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock  >:D or full up  :dunno: ), adjust Fx to dry volume to taste... ADA heaven.
So you have a variety of patching scenarios that will work (well) with it. With above just plug other preamps into 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 stereo pairs. You can now mix and match 4 preamps with one Fx unit (I suggest a mild stereo delay and a bit of chamber reverb as a start).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm considering running my Classic with my MP-2 in the same rack. I'm wondering if all this mixer business is even necessary. For that matter, do i even need a loop controller? Here's what I want to try; Can I run them in a series of FX loops? Meaning, I have two preamps and an FX unit (which is really another preamp). I am wondering if I can just run them in a four-cable method between 3 devices. Out one loop, into the input, out of the next loop, into the next input, wash rinse repeat.

Then, I simply program patches in each preamp to use the one I want (Classic or MP-2) by setting the FX loop in or out. Would that work, or am I going to lose signal when I shut off the loop of one of them?

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hi Dante,

Is your FX unit your GX700 ?

Tomy
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Yes, and it's also a preamp (has several amp models etc.). It's kinda like a Boss GT-8 in a rack form

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

yeah, I have a GX700, most of the time I use it alone because preamps inside sound pretty well,

Do you want to use it as preamp too ? or will you bypass GX preamp and hook it up only as FX unit ? (GX700 preamp==>mp1classic==>mp2)

Tomy
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, the answer is yes/maybe (and it would be very tricky re trying 4CM ish variations and only possible because MP2 and classic have parallel loops) but not optimal and you'd have serous gain structure issues doing it that way. If you decide to go that way I'll help you design it, but not an easy road.  And the patches in each unit would need to be very carefully tailored so the inputs don't get blown out.
But with a small mixer (or one of the 1 RU line mixer options) what you want to do is heaps easier and will sound much better. Remember, each unit is designed to be the centre piece and they all expect an instrument level signal at their respective input jack (not a line level loop send), chaining them together will not work well as the inputs will be overloaded.
Best way is (probably) to Y lead split guitar input into MP2 and Classic and run the Fx unit just as Fx off the mixer Fx send/rtn, if you also want to use the Roland Boss thing's guitar preamp sounds then it would be better to add a dedicated rev/fx style device for overall Fx and split the guitar signal between all 3 preamp units.  However, there are many patching permutations possible. Now I'm not across some of the new looper gadgets and maybe it can be solved that way  :dunno: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys

I don't use the preamp models in my GX-700 at all, just the effects. I think the easiest solution for me is just to keep two racks; one for each preamp. I have two GX-700s anyway, each one tailored for the preamp it's mated with.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

The easiest way to hook it up:
Hunt down a Rocktron Patchmate. Connect both the Classic and the MP2 to the Patchmate and hook up the Patchmate in 4cm with the GX700.
Just run Guitar > GX700 (with Patchmate in 4cm) > Poweramp > Cab.
This way you can make the utmnost use of the GX700 adjustable routing/FX order. Assign whichever premap you want to whatever patch number in the Patchmate and rock on ;-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up