ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using an ART SplitMix4?  (Read 11451 times)

Luke Gibson

Anyone using an ART SplitMix4?
« on: Time Format »

Hi Guys, I ordered one and hope to get it in a few days. I want to keep my MP-1 tone as pure as possible. I don't like using the Intellifex in the loop, I prefer to run it stereo with the A & B outputs of the MP-1. When only using the MP-1 & Power Amp it sounds great, adding the Intellifex changes it.......

ADA MP-1 -> Intellifex (Blackface) -> BBE 442A -> VHT 2/50/2 (Running Stereo)

Can someone make a simple diagram or explain how to connect the ART SplitMix4 passive mixer with the Intellifex and BBE?   

I've never used one but sort of understand the concept. In my mind it's a wet/dry setup where you mix dry signal A & 100% wet signal B and sum them for mono but I'm running stereo......
« Last Edit: Time Format by Luke Gibson »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Anyone using an ART MINIMix4?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Luke, MikeB uses the ART Split mix in his rig. They work well but you get some level drop as it's a passive device. If you search through my posts (and/or MikeBs) (profile > Show Posts) we posted quite a bit about it IIRC.
It takes a few reads of the specs to get your head around it.  You'll need a bunch of insert leads TRS (stereo jack) > 2 x TS (mono) jacks.
All the split mix in/outs are stereo (TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve)).
It has a Splitter bus and a Mixer bus, the first TRS jacks on each bus are the "main" input/output (http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/splitmix4/)
So to patch your Intellifex (BTW run Intelliflex full wet):
MP1 out A/B > (2 x TS > TRS) Splitter Input
Splitter output (pick one of them, lets use #4) > (TRS > 2 x TS) InFX L/R in
InFX L/R out > (2 x TS > TRS) > Mixer Input (pick one, note: it can't be #4) lets use #3 (vol pot for #3 is now InFX level)
Mixer Output > (TRS > 2 x TS) poweramp
Mike will correct this if I'm wrong (it's been a while  :facepalm: ) I think you also need to turn up one of the unused vols to get the MP1 dry signal (Splitter Input) to the Mixer Output (say #1 or #2 in this example) as the Splitter outputs directly link internally to their corresponding Mixer inputs when no jack is plugged into either of them.
You can put the BBE between the mixer and the poweramp if you really want to use it (consensus here IIRC is why use a BBE  :dunno: , I've never used one).
You'll probably need to turn the MP1 output up a bit due to level drop in Splitmix.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Luke Gibson

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

RNolan, thank you very much for the reply! It will take a bit to wrap my head around it for sure but seems like a good way to do what I want. I PM'd MikeB hopefully he won't mind..... 

Luke Gibson

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

....I'm undecided on the BBE btw. I think at bedroom volume maybe ok, at stage volume I prefer it off.  ON - the BBE "appears" to remove some or move the mids to a different place. I keep the LO-CONTOUR @ 1:00 and the DEFINITION @ 9:30 - 10:00

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Luke, I'm sure Mike wont mind  :thumb-up: .  Initially he was just mixing in (in parallel) his GMaj to keep the MP1 analogue all the way to the poweramp. Unfortunately, he then lost the CC master vol control from the GMaj as he wasn't chaining through it anymore with that set up. He's since modified it a little but he can tell you about that.  The biggest improvement though was the MDRT (transformer) upgrade. His rig is now sounding the best ever (he has my old MP1 which I used for years so I know it well, and I get to hear it every Friday night..).

With the BBE, you could start a thread here (To BBE or not to BBE (or some-such)) as other members have used them and can offer their thoughts.

The split mix takes a bit to understand all it's possibilities, it's a very versatile gadget.
What you plug into the Splitter (bus) Input is then available at the 4 splitter bus outputs (these link internally to their corresponding Mixer Inputs if no jack plugged into them). So they are like passive FX sends.
What you plug into the Mixer (bus) inputs gets mixed (via the channel vols) to the Mixer Output.  But (for some reason I don't quite remember) once you take a Splitter Bus output (say #4) you can't use it's corresponding Mixer Bus input.  Initially I thought you could, but for some reason (Mike may remember why) you can't.

GuitarBuilder

Re: Anyone using an ART SplitMix4?
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I'm using it successfully to mix the stereo outputs of 4 guitar synths.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Luke Gibson

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Thank you GuitarBuilder! I'm looking forward to getting mine going....  Curious what brand of TRS x 2 TS cables you use?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Luke, if you handy with a soldering iron you might think about making them yourself ?  Depending where you mount it (e.g. Mike has his cable tied to a rack tray along with his GCS3) you may want different lengths.

Luke Gibson

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thanks again Mr. Nolan! I am handy with a soldering iron, actually love to build cables and stuff.....    I'm not sure where I will mount the SplitMix, most likely similar to Mike. 

MikeB

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Just gotta get a couple of big essays out of the way and then I'll throw in my two cents.
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Just gotta get a couple of big essays out of the way and then I'll throw in my two cents.
Hey Mike, can you post a few camera shots (when you get time), very neat they way you've done it  :thumb-up:

Luke Gibson

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Update:

The SplitMix4 seems to do the trick.  Being a passive device it does have limitations, the volume knob interactions bother me... I may spring for a small rack mount mixer in the future with discrete control over the devices connected to it.   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Cool, glad it worked out.  There are a couple of 1RU line mixers available, though they don't have many FX sends

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

The ART MX-822 is a really nice low-cost 1U option.  And it has an effects loop!  :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I'll stick with the Rane SM-82 ;D
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up