ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?  (Read 28556 times)

PrimalScream91

Re: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

When Tom Scholz sold SR&D to Dunlop, they rebranded the Smart Gate as the MXR Smart Gate.  It is essentially the same circuit.  I also use the rack version, the MXR Smart Gate Pro:

An excellent unit overall as well; you can pick one up on eBay for around $300.

Finally, I have an ISP Decimator Pro Rack G Stereo; this is the one that lives in my ADA rack:

The stereo mod version is the right one to get; it has a separate guitar input that allows it to track the signal more accurately than the regular version.  It is not cheap: I picked mine up on eBay for $350.  Overall it performs very well, but the gating action is more noticeable than with the MXR or Rockman.

I looked at the MXR, but I didn't know much about it.

I love your head case by the way!  :thumb-up:
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

When I bought the Behringer headphone amp it was the best featured one I could find and not expensive.  I used it extensively without any issues.  We also bought some monitor wedges (1x12 + horn) which are the nicest sounding wedges I've ever heard, though a little lite on power handling.  They discontinued that model and went for a slightly bigger wedge with more power capacity, these don't sound anywhere near as good as the first version.

Yeah Tom Schultz was the compression king.  My X100 sounds great but is sooo compressed, totally get where your coming from there Harley.  The only place I use MP2 compression is on clean sounds.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

@MJMP
Well my headphone amp does what I want and without anything negative that I can tell.  I'm using only the little basic model as well and not the rack headphone amp they make.  So a 500 times better headphone amp isn't really going to matter to me. May be you got a faulty behringer headphone amp or something.

My use for most of my behringer gear is practical.  Why do I need to spend considerably more money on gear that is not crucially important or that only need to get the job done?  A headphone amp for crying out loud, well all I need this for is to allow more than one person to listen to the monitor mix clearly.  Behringer head phone amp did/does this for me. 
Oh and another decent behringer product the fcb1010.  Great unit and at a half the price of the roland, and you can update the eprom to do all kind of extra functionality.  I might sell mine though as what the hell do I need it for??????

@Guitar Builder
can you verify Harley's claims that the Smartgate is a De-Esser/Noise Gate, with a compression?

and if it  is does this mean the MXR Smartgate which is the same circuit is also a De-Esser/Noise Gate, with a compression?  Curious to know.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Well my behringer headphone amp (it's the 19" rack version) was so bad that you just couldn't use it.It's not pleasant if you always hear distortion when you are recording. Also a good monitor sound in the headphones is an absolute must. Maybe I just have bad luck with behringer units.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Well that depends on what you describe as good.  Hearing everything clearly but perhaps not quite as sonically brilliant as my home stereo qualifies as good for me.  If you imply that I would settle for distortion in my monitors then your of your rocker.  However I would settle for playback at a fair quality, but not necessarily as good as home stereo sound.  When monitoring all I need is for the drummer to hear himself and hear the backing track.

Had I bought a unit that distorted they way you describe MJMP I'd have returned it to the shop I bought it from.  You can't sell a unit that does not perform, or distorts.  That suggests it's faulty in my opinion.

As for the rack headphone amp, never used it.  I just used the tiny 4 channel one they sell https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-ha-400-4-way-mini-headphone-amp/1150?gclid=CKLYrrHz480CFYpAGwodWawE9g  only mine is dark in colour.

Did you have this MJMP?  544 reviews on the Thomann website give it an average 4.5 stars out of 5.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ha4700_powerplay_proxl_kopfhoererverstaerker.htm
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Well someone gave it to me  ;D but it's a 4600 not the 4700.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Hey GB,

I nearly bought an MXR Smartgate.

So are you telling me that the pedal version is the Rockman Smartgate?  How does the pedal and rack version compare?  The rack seems a lot more articulate.

Guess what................Behringer copied the MXR Smartgate too lol   :facepalm:  sorry guys had to mention it

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-ig9-intelligent-noise-gate-effects-pe--248-6258

The MXR pedal circuitry is very similar to the Rockman; the main difference is the lower single 9V supply and the choice of opamps.  The Rockman used a bipolar power supply which gave it more headroom.  It was also capable of handling line-level signals.  The MXR pedal also uses modern circuit board design with SMT components, while the Rockman is old-fashioned DIP.

The MXR Smart Gate Pro has several enhancements over the pedal, e.g. stereo sync, ground lift.  The circuitry is identical to the pedal.

Behringer (and also Nobels) were (and still are) notorious for copying good designs from other manufacturers.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

I have the decimator with the stereo mod but I still prefer it hooked up as dual mono, tracking is a lot better this way.So how does the decimator compares to the MXR and rockman?

The Decimator works much better as a cascaded (dual mono) unit, you're right!  However I needed stereo to handle the MP1/2 outputs and was too cheap to buy two Decimators!   :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar:

However, even in cascaded mode the Decimator cannot duplicate the Rockman's ability to do frequency-selective noise gating.  So the order for me is:

1) Rockman
2) MXR
3) ISP Decimator
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

I remember looking into those Rockman Smart Gates when I was shopping for noise gates back in the 80's. The Rockman is actually a combination De-Esser/Noise Gate, with a compression effect added. It was the compressor that actually turned me off to the unit since I didn't need or want a compressor in my rack.
   That was something I noticed about a lot of the Rockman gear. Compression effect is present with a lot of the units, and too much of it just doesn't sound natural on a guitar. Tom Scholz really liked the compression effects it seems.

Harley 8)

I think you're confusing the Smart Gate with the Sustainor, which has a compressor and smart gate built in.  The Rockman Smart Gate has no compression circuitry; actually none of the Rockman rack units beside the Sustainor and Guitar Compressor (and the belt versions that started it all) use compression.

Tom does indeed like compression, but only right before distortion effects.  As you know that gives a wonderful even, sustained distortion.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

I never saw Rockman gear over here, to bad I guess  ;D

Say in the rack with the ADA preamp there's a big Rockman module next to it with a rocker switch, what does this do?

PrimalScream91

« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

I never saw Rockman gear over here, to bad I guess  ;D

Say in the rack with the ADA preamp there's a big Rockman module next to it with a rocker switch, what does this do?

Are you referring to the RMC Headcase? If so the only thing I can think is the case has a power supply built into it and the rocker switch acts as a master on/off switch for the rack.
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

I think you're confusing the Smart Gate with the Sustainor, which has a compressor and smart gate built in.  The Rockman Smart Gate has no compression circuitry; actually none of the Rockman rack units beside the Sustainor and Guitar Compressor (and the belt versions that started it all) use compression.

Tom does indeed like compression, but only right before distortion effects.  As you know that gives a wonderful even, sustained distortion.

That was actually something I had read in the music store that day. The clerk who was helping me with the noise gates handed me some spec sheets they had  in the store on most of the noise gates they carried. On the Rockman spec sheet, what caught my attention was a fixed compression ratio setting that was non-adjustable. I asked about that, but no one knew for certain because it didn't seem to make sense to have a compressor in a noise gate. There was no mention of it in the brief paragraph at the bottom of the spec sheet, it was only in the spec listing above that.
   Maybe it was a typo on the spec sheet? In any event, that was what made me move on to another brand. I have no regrets about getting the dbx gates. They are very easy to set, and very smooth, and I still use them to this day.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

@PS yes that's what I mean

@Harley ,a noise gate is in essence a reversed compressor,a compressor will pull up the signal below the threshold, a gate will pull it down.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Just to chime in on the Behringer headphone amp, I have (well 2 Mikes borrowing one of them) the Power Play HA 4800 rack mount.  It's the best featured unit I've come across. Provides 4 headphone outs, all with vol, treb, bass, pan and additional stereo input just for that headphone (also 2 HP outs per channel so you can run 8 sets of HPs).  I've used many a "can" setup in the studio and the 4800 is as good sounding as any. Of course choice of headphone plays a part.  But sound wise the 4800 is a very good unit, so MJMP if you are getting distortion, something is definitely wrong  :facepalm: .   
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Yeah like I said maybe I just have bad luck with behringer and it also was the older 4600 version I have.In the end it all comes down that if you're happy with it, stay with it I guess.I wasen't happy with my behringer so I bought something else.
And I don't use the gates anymore,so no problem there either   :P But I do like the cabletester and the carry case so I'm not all anti behringer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up