ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Diagnosing a problem.  (Read 18370 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Diagnosing a problem.
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Good to hear it was an easy fix!  Another testament to the process of "check all the easy things first before assuming the worst".   :)

Kim, was that my MP1 that you modded? I remember you had to replace most of my jacks.  :bow:

I honestly don't remember if this particular one in the pic I posted was yours or not...I actually repaired maybe 5-6 MP-1s back then that looked as bad as that.  (I can't believe I happened to still have some of these pics anyway since I had lost a LOT of valuable data and irreplaceable pics in the several pc crashes I experienced back then.  Yeah, my fault for not backing up all my shit every hour on a miserable p.o.s. Windblows OS, right?) 

By the way, here's a pic of the repair if anyone's interested.

PrimalScream91

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Yep! I just know that these units are getting old and can start to develop problems, I'm glad that it was as simple as it was!
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

They could be replacement tubes installed more recently.

I would recommend a fresh set of tubes for the MP-1. Avoid Groove Tubes since their quality has dropped a lot in recent years.
    If you want a good full range sound in the MP-1, I would suggest some good quality. long plate tubes from Doug's Tubes in NY. You'll find that many of the members here like JJ's, but most of them sound a bit too brittle to my ears with one exception: ECC803. They sound smoother to my ears.
    Currently, I'm using Penta 12AX7's in mine and I like them. Powerful, a lot of bass and low mids with good clarity. Overall, a fair HiFi tube for the MP-1.
     Also, Mullard Reissues will make the MP-1 grow some serious balls if you can get some of those in good quality. There are Russian made reissues on the market now, but I tried a pair in my MP-1 Classic, and they wore out after just 3 months. Maybe it was the pair I happened to get, I don't know. The Penta's seem to deliver a very similar tone for the MP-1.

In the end, it's what your ears like to hear that really matters, so there are no wrong choices for preamp tubes!

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

PrimalScream91

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

They could be replacement tubes installed more recently.

I would recommend a fresh set of tubes for the MP-1. Avoid Groove Tubes since their quality has dropped a lot in recent years.
    If you want a good full range sound in the MP-1, I would suggest some good quality. long plate tubes from Doug's Tubes in NY. You'll find that many of the members here like JJ's, but most of them sound a bit too brittle to my ears with one exception: ECC803. They sound smoother to my ears.
    Currently, I'm using Penta 12AX7's in mine and I like them. Powerful, a lot of bass and low mids with good clarity. Overall, a fair HiFi tube for the MP-1.
     Also, Mullard Reissues will make the MP-1 grow some serious balls if you can get some of those in good quality. There are Russian made reissues on the market now, but I tried a pair in my MP-1 Classic, and they wore out after just 3 months. Maybe it was the pair I happened to get, I don't know. The Penta's seem to deliver a very similar tone for the MP-1.

In the end, it's what your ears like to hear that really matters, so there are no wrong choices for preamp tubes!

Harley 8)

Cheers man, I'll definitely start looking into getting a new set of tubes. I'm relatively familiar with power amp tubes, but not so much preamp tubes, so this helps a lot!

Also, what's your opinion on Sovtek tubes? I know a lot of people like them.
« Last Edit: Time Format by PrimalScream91 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey PS91, One thing about the various 12AX7s available, while all being electrically compatible with your MP1, they all sound different. Like Harley, I like the long plates, they seem to have more depth and "3D" articulation which suits my playing.  Short plates work well for other styles, particularly very high gain (from comments here). When you have some time to spare, read through the tube posts, it's quite long but lots of good ideas, opinions, some technical stuff, pretty much all the good (worth buying) tubes get a mention.  Also you can mix and match.  MikeB uses a Mullard re-issue short plate in V1 position and a Boogie SPAX7 (re badged JJ) in V2 and this setup works for him.  The Sovteks are a bit cheaper than some others and there's a few to pick from  (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025.html).  They are made in the same factory as the Mullard re-issues and a few other nice brands like Tung-Sol.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

PrimalScream91

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey PS91, One thing about the various 12AX7s available, while all being electrically compatible with your MP1, they all sound different. Like Harley, I like the long plates, they seem to have more depth and "3D" articulation which suits my playing.  Short plates work well for other styles, particularly very high gain (from comments here). When you have some time to spare, read through the tube posts, it's quite long but lots of good ideas, opinions, some technical stuff, pretty much all the good (worth buying) tubes get a mention.  Also you can mix and match.  MikeB uses a Mullard re-issue short plate in V1 position and a Boogie SPAX7 (re badged JJ) in V2 and this setup works for him.  The Sovteks are a bit cheaper than some others and there's a few to pick from  (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025.html).  They are made in the same factory as the Mullard re-issues and a few other nice brands like Tung-Sol.

I glanced through some of those posts yesterday but I was in a bit of a rush, I plan on going back and reading into them this afternoon. So far, long plates sound like my preference.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I've had really good results with the Mullard long plates in my (now 4  :facepalm: ) MP2s.  Seems strange that Harley didn't get much wear out of his in the Classic  :dunno: I've not had a longevity problem with them.  Systematic Chaos put me onto them. He tried them in his MP1 and liked them (although I think he had some new old stock (NOS) Mullards ??, these are expensive)

There's also some good links etc in that thread to help you get your head around the variables.

PrimalScream91

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Since Harley posted I've been looking at both the Mullard's and the Penta's. I assume it couldn't hurt to try some Mullard's, as Harley said, maybe he just got an off set.

Looking at dougstubes.com, it looks like they're not selling the Penta's anymore, because that product page states: "Warm, fat tone. We are now shipping 12AX7AC5 HG's in place of Penta's." After searching it looks like they might be shipping the RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG's in their place, so I assume they are similar tubes.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Like many brands, Ruby buy tubes , test them etc and re badge them (same with Groove Tubes, EH, Boogie etc). Last look there were really only 3 factories, Slovakia, China and Russia from whence they all come... I can certainly vouch for the Mullards in a MP2

PrimalScream91

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Right on! Thanks for the advice & wisdom!  :cheers:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Well I'm more a JJ user but I get the Ruby 12ax7ACZ HG which are JJ's tested by Ruby. Now I don't recommend sovtek because they sound dull in a MP-1.
As for Penta ,they do the same thing as Ruby, they buy Chinese tubes and test them. So the Penta 12ax7a and the Ruby 12ax7AC5 are actually the same Chinese tube. It's quite easy to recognise Chinese tube, they have an extra spacer that only Chinese tubes have.(see pic)

PrimalScream91

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Well I'm more a JJ user but I get the Ruby 12ax7ACZ HG which are JJ's tested by Ruby. Now I don't recommend sovtek because they sound dull in a MP-1.
As for Penta ,they do the same thing as Ruby, they buy Chinese tubes and test them. So the Penta 12ax7a and the Ruby 12ax7AC5 are actually the same Chinese tube. It's quite easy to recognise Chinese tube, they have an extra spacer that only Chinese tubes have.(see pic)

it is interesting how companies will buy tubes to test and rebrand them. Right now I'm looking between the Mullard Reissues and the 12ax7AC5's.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

If you can afford it, buy a pair of each then try each combination. You may find you like 2 of the same, or say a mullard in V1 and the Ruby (JJ) in V2 (or vis versa).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey PrimalScream91,

I'm not really a big fan of the Sovtek brand personally. I haven't actually tried those in any of my ADA preamps, but I did try a few in one of my vintage Fender twins, and they only lasted about 3 minutes. That's because it only took me that long to find out that they didn't give my amplifier the classic clean tone it's known for. They break up WAYYYY early and distort too easily, so I don't imagine they would be suitable for a preamp like the ADA's.
    The Ruby's as MJMP mentioned, are Chinese tubes, but one of the few Chinese tubes I would look into. I would more than likely look at the Higher priced Ruby Tubes, and those with ratings suitable for HiFi equipment, The 12AX7ACZ or the 12AX7AC5 you mentioned, might be along those lines. I have a trio of the 12AX7ACZ's in my 3TM, and they aren't bad at all.
   Yes, I probably got a bum set of Mullard RI's that went South after 3 months in my Classic, but I got those through Musician's Friend, so who knows how long they had them sitting around? The Mullards in my MP-2's I got from Doug's, and they are still going strong. I'm still tube-rolling with the Classic to see if I can get some more pleasing results with it.
    To my ears, short plate tubes seem to have a lot of high-end harshness, so I look for more low mids and bass, and that's where the long plate tubes seem to generally fill the bill. Still, there are a few short plates out there that have some enhanced low frequencies, but not many.
     It's a lot tougher these days to shop for tubes since you can't really go into a music store and roll a few tubes through your amps like we used to do in the old days. That's one of the priceless benefits of this Forum. Players here are always trying different things, and you can get a pretty good picture in your mind of what you are looking at because chances are, someone here is already using it.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley,those 12ax7ACZ are actually JJ's and the AC5's are Chinese.
Best is not to buy tubes of the shelf at a music store, usually these are bad quality. These are mostly the rejected leftovers that companies like Penta, GT  and Ruby resell. Also if you're in the US I can recommend Doug Tube, great guy never had any issues with the tubes I bought from him. And okay you pay more but you also get the quality! Too bad the dollar has gone up and with the import taxes it's just too expensive to buy tubes from him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up