Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

4 ohm load into a 16 ohm speaker

(1/3) > >>

Dante:
Hi Guys,

I have recently acquired a small 1x12 combo Marshall and I'm considering swapping out the (4 ohm) G12m-70 Celestion for a V-type I found on Craigslist. The one thing I wonder about is, the speaker i'm looking at is a 16 ohm, intended to be used in a 2x12 to achieve an 8 ohm load. (I'm assuming the amp pushes a 4 ohm load because of the stock speaker) I know my amp will be fine going into a 16 ohm load with the 4 ohm load it sends, but my question is, will the 16 ohm speaker be less articulate?

I have plugged into 8 ohm cabs with a 4 ohm amp before and the amp seems to really get them to come alive, I'm wondering if that will happen with this combo and a 16 ohm speaker, or if it'll have the opposite effect?

Dante

MarshallJMP:
I don't think sound wise it will change anything but you will loose a lot of output power. You will have 25% of the original power.

Kim:
You definitely don't want to go the other way though...putting a 4 ohm speaker on an 8 or 16 ohm amp would be ugly.

Dante:

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on June 17, 2016, 12:36:34 PM ---I don't think sound wise it will change anything but you will loose a lot of output power. You will have 25% of the original power.

--- End quote ---
That is not good...although it's loud, it's only 30w. Hmpf

--- Quote from: Kim on June 17, 2016, 12:36:34 PM ---You definitely don't want to go the other way though...putting a 4 ohm speaker on an 8 or 16 ohm amp would be ugly.

--- End quote ---
I know that part, never try to force a firehose into a garden hose.  :thumb-up:

GuitarBuilder:
Which amp are you thinking of using?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version