ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from Scotland  (Read 20003 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Greetings from Scotland
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

@MJMP

I agree, butr when I think of tube, (valve) amps, I tend to think of the older point-to-point amps. When it comes to anything on a printed circuit board, I can't help feeling that they are not as durable, or tolerant to parameter changes like this. That is why I try to err on the side of caution.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Well the older amps ,quality wise were a lot better then the amps they make these days.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

@Richard

Yes i have read the Tubes thread and it's a very interesting one with many options, so kind of at a loss as to which pairings might be best, I see you recommended the Mullard short plate and the SPAX7 (Mikes set up) tho you say you prefer the Mullard Long plate (what's the difference between the short & long and can you say why you prefer the long ?).

I've actually just ordered a new helping hands, with magnifier & light and had recently just upgraded my soldering gear.
I would like to try do some of the mods myself (i suppose if i make a mess of it i can always still send it over to MJMP's anyway) telling him what i exploded.

Well new valves first of course, then what ? Battery, Noise, MDRT, Jack sockets ???
In what order would you recommend doing the mods ?? is there a preferred order at all ?

Ohh and as for Stereo cabs, my 4 x 12 is actually an old original Line 6 412s Stereo cab with the eminence speakers 75 each so a 300 watt cab
only thing is I have NEVER used it in Stereo I always just used it mono to be honest I'm not too sure how to set it up as Stereo
perhaps you can elaborate !
On the back it has 2 inputs and switchable options  these are:

LEFT/Mono : 16 ohm per side Stereo OR 8 ohm Mono(left only)
RIGHT : 4 ohm per side Stereo OR 2 ohm Mono (left only)
The 50/50 has a switch for each amp 8 or 16 ohm out for amp A and the same for Amp B
Would i just switch the cab to 16ohm and plug the left side into amp A and the right side into Amp B and set both Amp switches to 16 ohm ??
would that work then in stereo ?

Regards
scsi (Ray)
Hey Ray, I've been away from here a little bit lately, so I'm going to respond to this post from here (there are other posts to this I haven't read yet but I just wanted to answer this directly  :wave: . Ok so your cab  is capable of stereo or mono (it's just how the wiring goes and what the speaker(s) (nominal!!) impedance's are (from what I can tell they are all 8 ohm speakers))). So in stereo you would use both inputs (R & L (and switch to suite?)), and go for the 16 ohm option on the speaker inputs and the power amp outputs.
Now I can explain why if you are interested ? Fundamentally, you want to match your power amp > speaker (nominal) impedance (so you don't blow shit up...).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Hey Ray, I've just "scanned over" the other posts/replies, the only way the the numbers stack up for your cab is that they are all 75w 8 ohm speakers (x 4) in your cab.  so in stereo you can have 2 x 4 ohm or 2 x 16 ohm (2 x 16 ohm is my recommendation given your amp likes 8 or 16 ohm loads). Hey if you had a ADA B200s I'd go for the 4 ohm load...
Understand that:
in parallel 8 + 8 = 4; 16 + 16 = 8, 4 + 4 = 4 etc (halves)
in series 8 + 8 =16, 4 + 4 = 8 etc (doubles)
So many boxes are wired in a combination of series and parallel to give the power amp the best nominal impedance. Your box gives you choices..., Mono 300w (2 ohm or 8 ohm). or stereo 150 w per channel (4 ohms or 16 ohms) because the speakers are 75 w 8 ohm.

scsibear

« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,
Yes you are exactly correct they are all 8 ohm speakers (4 of em) at 75 watt each so i am gonna go down the road of inputs L & r on the cab set to 16 ohms and both out of the amp A & B set to 16 ohm as well, that should work with no flames or big nazzy pop noises :)

Regards
Ray
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

:thumb-up: way to go.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up