ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from Scotland  (Read 20023 times)

scsibear

Re: Greetings from Scotland
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

OK HH I'll go and DL it now and have a look, Thanks

Regards
scsi
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear, that's not good about the stock Gibsons, they should have plenty to drive that patch. I agree tubes ??? but I'm thinking input jack also ?? If your up for the journey it is fun to do it yourself, on the other hand sending it to MJMP for a makeover is a good idea  :dunno: .  Now f you do the battery mod, all the patches will be wiped (probably a good idea, clear the deck as it were), then reload the factory presets (they come off the EPROM) and it's just like new, 29 patches and the rest blank (fill to your hearts content).
Initially, I'd get it going as intended, so Guit > MP1 > 50/50 > 2 x cabs (or wire your cab stereo, it makes a huge difference to run in stereo, I'll never go back to mono...). Once you get the basics sorted, combine some FX (delay, reverb (is all I use)) heaven on a stick... Now new tubes are always a good idea (have you read through the tube choice threads here ? lots of good ideas and opinions).  However, I can personally vouch for a Mullard short plate (new sensor reissue) in V1 and a decent JJ (or Boogie SPAX7 which is a JJ) in V2 as this is what Mikes using and it sounds great (Gibson LP Classic). Personally I like the Mullard long plates (new sensor reissues), they would also work very well.

Here's something to try, Guit > (inst lv in) furman eq (Line lv out) (but eq flat (to start))> MP1 rear (line lv in) > 50/50 > stereo cabs Just to isolate the front jack, I think its had its day based on your active/passive test
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

scsibear

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

@Richard

Yes i have read the Tubes thread and it's a very interesting one with many options, so kind of at a loss as to which pairings might be best, I see you recommended the Mullard short plate and the SPAX7 (Mikes set up) tho you say you prefer the Mullard Long plate (what's the difference between the short & long and can you say why you prefer the long ?).

I've actually just ordered a new helping hands, with magnifier & light and had recently just upgraded my soldering gear.
I would like to try do some of the mods myself (i suppose if i make a mess of it i can always still send it over to MJMP's anyway) telling him what i exploded.

Well new valves first of course, then what ? Battery, Noise, MDRT, Jack sockets ???
In what order would you recommend doing the mods ?? is there a preferred order at all ?

Ohh and as for Stereo cabs, my 4 x 12 is actually an old original Line 6 412s Stereo cab with the eminence speakers 75 each so a 300 watt cab
only thing is I have NEVER used it in Stereo I always just used it mono to be honest I'm not too sure how to set it up as Stereo
perhaps you can elaborate !
On the back it has 2 inputs and switchable options  these are:

LEFT/Mono : 16 ohm per side Stereo OR 8 ohm Mono(left only)
RIGHT : 4 ohm per side Stereo OR 2 ohm Mono (left only)
The 50/50 has a switch for each amp 8 or 16 ohm out for amp A and the same for Amp B
Would i just switch the cab to 16ohm and plug the left side into amp A and the right side into Amp B and set both Amp switches to 16 ohm ??
would that work then in stereo ?

Regards
scsi (Ray)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Hi scsibear.

I can't help with the cab plug ins, because I'm not familiar with Line 6 gear at all.
   As for the valves, I can tell you that the short plates will have a more crisp sound in general. They are more for high end definition IMHO, whereas long plates give more bottom end emphasis. This helps smooth things out a bit, and balance the overall output of the preamp tone.
   My personal preference for the MP-1 would be valves that have the long plates, since I seem to hear enough high end crispness, and would like to get more emphasis on the low mids and bass frequencies. Then again, I primarily play Stratocasters.
  Also, keep in mind Richard plays MP-2's, and those are completely different from the original MP-1. I like the sounds of the Mullard long plate RI my MP-2's as well.
   In the end, whatever combination or pair of valves gives your MP-1 the sounds that please your ears, is the right one.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Do you have some more info about that line6 cab?(manual or model nr)

scsibear

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

@HH: Yeah I kind of figured it was just down to what sounds right to my ear as you said.  The 4 x 12 has very good low end, real strong, warm, and good all round projection which i like.
I originally started on the bass and when i moved over to the guitar i was running it through a bass amp at the time, and as i got more guitar oriented gear i still liked having a good strong low end growl and still do to this day, I guess it's just what i got used to.
I think it's just a case of pick two types and see how they sound, probably an ongoing process til I find what i like best.

@MJMP: I'm sorry I cannot find the data sheet for the 412s anywhere, and the serial# has been well buffed off from years of gigging (van rash) i bought it new 16 years ago. They made 3 of them over the years, the one i have is the original one (Red/Silver grill cloth) built for the Flextone 1 and Flextone 2 amps and had Eminence Tube Tone speakers in them, the second one was built for their new Vetta Amps which took over from the Flextone 1 and 2 series these had Chinese Celestion V30s in them (Black grill cloth) very fizzy and no bottom end apparently , the last ones were built for their Spider series amps (Black grill cloth), I'm not even sure what's inside those but i've heard they are supposed to be pretty crappy from what I've read, but having never heard one i honestly couldn't say apparently they were based on a bogner 4 x 12 (looks wise).

Regards
scsi

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Ok I see now,so switch to the right  16 ohm/side if you plug it in stereo or 8 ohm if you plug it into the left side only
Switch left 4 ohm stereo or 2 ohm mono.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

I see the switch there too. Am I the only one who thinks their mathematics is off?
160 watts per speaker? Doubtful, more like 80 watts @ 8 Ohms each is my guess. That must be 160 watts per channel if you run the cab in stereo. See what happens when you let people drink beer on the job?

From what I'm seeing here, it looks like you can run  in stereo by plugging in 2 speaker cables, which will run 2 speakers wired in series per side. You can select between 4 and 16 Ohm in stereo mode. The switch cuts the impedance in half.
Plugging into the left side runs the cab in series/parallel in mono mode. You have to be careful not to run that in 2 Ohms in mono, or it's goodbye poweramp.

That would work in stereo with almost any ADA poweramp. and most of any other you might try, albeit Marshall, Boogie, etc. You just have to mind the poweramp impedance requirements.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Yes most solid state amps don't really like 2 ohms,usually doesn't hurt a tube amp.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

@MJMP,  I cooked the output transformer of a 1973 Super Lead 100, (Marshall), because of mismatched impedance once. That was a costly repair, and the amp never did sound the same after that. I always make sure I'm using the correct impedance after that experience, and I never plug into an unknown cab, that I can't be certain of the impedance.
    I guess you could say I'm a bit paranoid about messing up another great sounding amp that way.

Harley 8)

scsibear

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Well the good thing is that the 50/50 has only 2 options and this is either 8 ohms or 16 ohms, personally I'd prolly set the amp for 16 ohms out A and B and into left and right switching the cab to the 16 ohms option.

Does that sound about right ?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

That would be the way I would do it. :thumb-up:

Harley 8)

El Chiguete

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear,

OK, I was combing through the ADA Trendz magazines and finally came across what I was looking for.
    Go to the ADA Trendz section from the Home menu, and look for Vol2-no1, and download the PDF file. When you open it, go to page 9, and the article is there under the heading: Attack of the Killer Tone.

They give a starting reference for using the outboard EQ from the headphone jack to record direct. I never tried it, but hope it works out for you.

Harley 8)

Has anyone tried this out allready??? I have no time to try it out these days.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

@RG: yes it was your MDRT Thread with the pix :thumb-up: and even better your not playing Edinburgh, as I'm in Glasgow anyway LOL so i can maybe pop along and see you guys  ;) Just let me know where and when man.

Ahh I thought so.  Those clips are recorded with the original tranny.  I have yet to post any new clips with the MDRT and noise mod completed.  I will do soon though.  Not sure how much of an A/B will be able to be made now.  Some of the differences are in the feel and other things as well.  I'll give it a go.

Oh when I find out where we are playing in Glasgow I'll give you a shout man.  Don't know the venue yet.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

@Harley,i was actually pointing out that a tube amp can withstand more abuse,like you can even short the output and it will not blow up in an instand like a SS amp would do.But you are right you always need to use the correct impedance setting on a tube amp.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up