ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Rockmaster - Mods  (Read 2632 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Peavey Rockmaster - Mods
« on: Time Format »

Ok well I'm pretty sure I've modded C14 out.  Cannot recall much difference.  I figured the "one at a time approach"  would be best in case doing a few things at once would be too much.

Also

I have swapped R33 and R34 out for 4.7k resistors which is supposed to increase stock voltage the preamp tubes are seeing from 260v to 320v

It's worth mentioning the fact that most of my info comes from a guy's post on this thread from another forum, is it bad manners to post it here?  Correct me if I am wrong to do so?

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/peavey-rockmaster-mods.28608/

Also I got some gold information from this other forum

https://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12476&page=2&s=be8dab91221614959a18120be092ce7f

And posts by a guy called "fuzznut"  seem to shed a lot of light on amps that the rockmaster is very similar too and uses some of this knowledge to suggest a lo pass filter to help take away a harsh edge that the rockmaster can possess.  So I tried this for an experiment last night, done in a temporary fashion by jarring a .0022µf cap and it's legs under the resistor R400 basically running in parallel and holy shit it worked!!!  I may experiment with other values now to get the right one but not sure which values to try?  .0022µf seemed quite a good one to try.

Main aims of modding the Rockmaster, get a better lo mids/lo frequency. So the mods for c4, c5, c14 and possibly c17 all pop into this category on of these caps I've already changed a long time ago.

And possibly get rid of the edgeness/fizz that it can suffer from depending on the setup (I get way more fizz with studio di with impulse setup than I do with live setup).  So the lo pass filter possibly has solved this issue already.

And possibly improve the distortion, perhaps a little more gain, not essential but curious to try this mod of Changing the plate resistors to 200k (R3 and R13 only).  I think I have the right resistors to achieve this currently.

Might need to order more caps in general for various values.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Peavey Rockmaster - Mods
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Finally got time to try another little mod for the Rockmaster.

I'm going to try a 1µf in place of the 0.47µf cap in C17 on the tube board.  It's to allow more low end through apparently.  Trying 1µf first as this is the value others have tried.

The caps I got are only 400v, does anyone know if that would be suitable for this kind of mod?  They are also huge!!  I hope they will fit.

I was thinking of rigging this up in a way that I could attach different caps of different values at will before I settle on the right value, say by attaching two wires in place where the original C17 is now and then using crocodile clips to connect whatever value of cap I wanted.  Stupid idea may be?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: [1]   Go Up