Non ADA Gear > Effects

Pitch Shifty-ness

(1/3) > >>

Kim:
Just wondering how the peeps who use a Pitch Shift fx get it to sound as good as I've heard others do.  My Pitch Shift patch doesn't separate the two pitches very well IMO.  Sounds like it makes a "chord" by combining the two notes instead of sounding like two guitars playing the different notes if you know what I mean.  My signal chain:
           ADA MP-2
              l      l
           Xpression
              l      l
         ADA MT200
          l             l
Left Speaker    Right Speaker

Ideally, I think the original signal should be Panned to one side, and then the shifted signal Panned to the other.....or at least sound like two guitars playing at the same time instead of sounding like both notes being played on one guitar at the same time.  I keep checking the Xpression menus to see if I can fix my "problem" but I must be missing something.....anyone have this Xperience?  lol  Solution?    :wave:

rnolan:
Hey Kim
So from you diagram, you chain through the Xpression ?, maybe try it in the MP2 stereo parallel loop, that will give better definition, then adjust send return/mix levels to suit. I have a very old Digitech IPS33 smart shift, and I use a mixer to combine it with the main sound (MP1 initially, now MP2), you can hear the pitch shifts reasonably well, but of course it's never going to be the same as 2 separate guitar tracks playing different notes (ala Blackmore Highway Star). Here's with the MP1, 3rd Guitar Solo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr9nZ4aJfo)

El Chiguete:
What type of pitch shift sound you are trying to get? a whammy 1 oct up effect or a harmony effect?

Soloist:
For a chorusy type pitch shifter on my G Major 2 I set one side +12 cents the other -12 cents, panned hard right and left, 20ms delay, 0 repeats. I had an xpression but wasn't happy with it.

Kim:
The Pitch Shift sound I'm looking for is either a Fifth up or an Octave up; I haven't decided which I like best yet.  I can't explain it very well other than what I said earlier....it sounds like the two pitches are being blended into a "chord" instead of being separate pitches.  I could understand it being like that if my fx was in FRONT of the preamp, but it isn't.

Maybe as an example....About 0:28 in this clip the harmony shift comes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXLc3rmK10
I know it's done with studio sorcery, but I have heard this done with fx alone.  Finstah's solo in the We're Stars tribute vid featured this IIRC, unless I'm mistaken and he overdubbed that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version