ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MC-1 LED Display Replacement  (Read 4003 times)

SmurphNet

MC-1 LED Display Replacement
« on: Time Format »

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions for replacing the LED display on my MC-1?  It had an issue where some of the segments were not working, so I opened it up and took a look.  It appears that the tiny LEDs that are integrated into the board have actually broken off and were lost.  Not sure if there are replacement boards available or some sort of equivalent LED display that can be retrofitted.  I am pretty good with soldering and making modifications if there is another LED display that can be used.  It looks like the stock board may be some kind of proprietary design.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Steve

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MC-1 LED Display Replacement
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, welcome to the depot  :wave: .  I don't know if you can get a replacement display (MJMP)??.  I'm sure some members have MC-1s they have replaced with something else, if you really like/want the MC-1 they may part with their old one.  A friend of mine has one and doesn't need it.  Although shipping costs are your enemy.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

SmurphNet

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I was just looking to repair it for nostalgia reasons more than anything.  I've had it since 1990 when I got my MP-1.  I would probably just get a MIDI Mouse or something similar.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

No worries.
@MJMP, can you help him out with a MC-1 display ?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well these are actually displays that are used in clocks but I haven't been able to find these. Although you might get lucky by looking in a clock if you have one lying around. Now are you really sure the display itself is broken? Usually it's the grey flatcable that is broken or gives a bad contact on either the display or pcb side. Which segments are missing?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, if I'm not mistaken it's for his midi pedal (MC-1).  Does it use the same display as the MP1? I thought it was smaller.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yes it's the same type of display as the MP-1.

SmurphNet

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hi MJMP...It is definitely the display board.  I removed the flat ribbon cables and used a 9V battery to test the segments and there are several that are out.  I split apart the display from the circuit board and found that a few of the embedded LEDs were broken off.  They are very small and it doesn't take much to knock them off the board.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Well I did make a replacement board a long time ago for someone for an MP-1. I just used a perfboard and some regular 7 segment led displays, wired it up and it worked fine. But it's a bit of work.

neskob

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hello, I know that this post is necro, but wth. Anyway, I've recently restored whole MC-1 unit (paint strip, painting and redecaling, LCD change and some wiring too). I'm gonna post whole experience, with pictures and schematics I've made during the process. Stay tuned :)

neskob

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I’ve got my ADA MP-1 Classic in decent condition, changed the battery, reset the MC1 and it was set to rock. But, looking at the used up MC1 with a semi-working LCD, decided to restore to it’s original state. There are no schematics on the web, at least I couldn’t find any, so I guess someone could find these posts useful. It was fun for me anyways.
Parts used and cost:
1.   7 segment LCD display 3 digits CATHODE  – about 1,3 euro
2.   Some wires and LCD rack – about 0,5 euro
3.   Paint stripping and paint – 4 euros
4.   UV digital print – about 28 euros
I’ve got the MC1 for free when I’ve bought the MP1-Classic, so the total price was kinda ok. You could only change the LCD screen and that is a super-cheap fix, and looks much cooler now. At least to me  :metal:

This is the original condition, guts and all...
« Last Edit: Time Format by neskob »

neskob

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Now, this is the most important part, I’ve rewired whole LCD setup, ditched the ribbon cable.
Pinout is as it follows, looking from the back of the unit. Dig 4 is not used, as it’s a 3 digits display, so I’ve taped it off.

neskob

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

If you are removing buttons from the unit, be very careful as the plastic is very brittle and it breakes easily. There are two prongs on the back of the button and you should just pry them open and the whole assembly will give. It’s a very simple affair as it’s comprised of two springs separated by the metal washer and they like to jump around and get stuck in a shaggy carpets, don’t ask  me how I know.
Previous owner probably had the same problem with plastic buttons cracking so he drowned them in hot glue, it was a b#tch to remove.
They look like this when dismantled:
« Last Edit: Time Format by neskob »

neskob

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

After I dismantled everything and then some, I took it for a nice new coat of paint.
I've attached corel files for decal printing, if someone finds them useful. I couldn't find exact font but it's close enough I guess. I've asked ADA through FB page to share some logo files or at least name of the font. No reply, I'm guessing they thought I'm gonna steal some of their ancient sh%t, go figure.
Before and after photos...

neskob

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Aaaaaaand the finished product... It's far from perfect, but it looks much better and works as it should, I'm really satisfied at the end. And I forgot, I've changed them little rubber feet, these one I had in a drawer, a 1 mm too big, but who cares  O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up