ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What FX units recommended?  (Read 9819 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
What FX units recommended?
« on: Time Format »

EDIT:  Getting Off Topic, I split the Pedalboard thread so we can discuss DannyJoeCarter's questions/thoughts here.   :thumb-up:
Kim

Less is more, Danny

Well.. more or less..

Funny stuff guys!
Hey but I will share this with you all and you can tell me your thoughts - I absolutely hate having ANYTHING color or alter my tone! And in the last week I have found that all the Rocktron stuff and even the TC and Eventide seem to color my sound and I believe it's do to the AD converters or whatever else may going on.

So I have with just these two pedals, just a gate wired into a delay and there is NO change even slightly in my sound!  :banana:
Now I will say this; as I have shared with you all pics of my little four space rack which the second slot simply has a grill in it - if anyone has a suggestion for a multi FX that will NOT COLOR the tone I would love to hear about it Folks!  :whoohoo!:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: What FX units recommended?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Ahahahahahahahah!!!
Danny, you're the craziest guy around!
How many MP-1s would you buy???  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Coming to FX units, as I said I was looking for a Quadraverb...then I found a used TC G Major for a very good price and I've got it.
I've to say I'm very happy with it: the noise gate is the best I've ever used and effects are high quality.
I just plugged both MP-1s OUTs to GMaj INs to have a stereo config and that's it.
No line mixer here: I found the AD/DA conversion of GMaj very good and my MP-1 tone is 100% there to my ears.
The Zoom 9150, for instance, did color my MP-1 tone a lot more...not in a bad way, but it wasn't my MP-1 dry tone.
To my ears, the GMaj does a better work.

Now I'm going for a B200s and a stereo 2x12 cab...  :headbanger:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: , you'll be in MP-1 heaven  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the whole A/D D/A thing is one of my major bug bares and I barked on about here for a long time.  I'm an analogue die hard and paid my dues in the land of tape. Feel free to email me if you want to have that conversation.

There are a bunch of posts that MikeB and I did when we tested using his (beloved) GMaj2 mixed in in parallel to preserve the MP-1 analogue signal path all the way to the speakers and then chaining through it.  This came off the back of me getting a TC MOne XL reverb and reading the schematic.  The first thing TCs (and many other units) do at their inputs is A/D the signal ( :facepalm: no more analogue MP-1 dry signal).  We proved that preserving the analogue dry signal (as you do with an analogue desk (which is how I do it) or with an older school Fx eg Quadverb? Intelliflex) does sound better (I spose you might describe it is as less colour).  Then SC pointed out that sure it may be a little better but is it worth it given how you can use the midi continuous control options in the GMaj2 and it still sounds killer... So very much up to the individual how "picky" you want to be. And Mike has gone back to chaining through his GMaj2 to get the other benefits, mainly stereo mater vol control via midi expression pedal (which I don't need as it's built into my MP-2).

Of note, all this is running stereo.  To get the best out of these multi Fx devices they sound allot better in stereo, as does the MP-1/2 (or you miss half of what they do or are supposed to sound like).

On the subject of colour, all units have a sound, some are more transparent (and typically cost (allot) more).

If you are that pedantic about colour (as am I it seems) and want to add some Fx, then IMO the beast way to realise your aim/goal is to use a reasonably high quality "analogue" mixer and run your rig "IN STEREO" just like a PA system.  Use the Fx send to feed Fx units, return them down input channels (or returns) set 100% wet, get the gains set right and blend it to taste.  Now I've done it this way from the get go (I'm an audio engineer, it's the easiest way to do it (for me)). For Fx, buy really high quality units (hey I'd like to have a Lexicon Lark 224X reverb  >:D $$$s) that "you" like their sound.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Danny, if you need a good delay (with modulation options like chorus or flanger) then get an ADA digitizer, best delay I ever owned. Also the dry path is fully analog.
I bought 2 of them years ago for 50$/piece + shipping.

Iperfungus

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: , you'll be in MP-1 heaven  :thumb-up:

Shit yeah, I will!!!  :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e  :banana-upsidedown:  :banana:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ahahahahahahahah!!!

Coming to FX units, as I said I was looking for a Quadraverb...then I found a used TC G Major for a very good price and I've got it.
I've to say I'm very happy with it: the noise gate is the best I've ever used and effects are high quality.
I just plugged both MP-1s OUTs to GMaj INs to have a stereo config and that's it.
No line mixer here: I found the AD/DA conversion of GMaj very good and my MP-1 tone is 100% there to my ears.
The Zoom 9150, for instance, did color my MP-1 tone a lot more...not in a bad way, but it wasn't my MP-1 dry tone.

I do know it sounds crazy but you figure, out of six MP-1s only two worked  :facepalm: But at least these are two great ones now :banana:

And a great suggestion too on the TC Gmaj! I'm hearing more and more good things about it so I will look into one Iperfungus  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Ahahahahahahahah!!!

I do know it sounds crazy but you figure, out of six MP-1s only two worked  :facepalm: But at least these are two great ones now :banana:

And a great suggestion too on the TC Gmaj! I'm hearing more and more good things about it so I will look into one Iperfungus  :D

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttt....I'm considering a spare MP-1 as well, if I will find one for a reasonably low price.  :facepalm:

How many you've got in good working conditions, until now? Just 2?

About the GMaj, the more I use it, the more I love it.
It's a very good companion for the MP-1...and I cannot wait for the incoming B200s.
This promise to be an awesome small stereo rig to play home!  :headbanger:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Ahahahahahahahah!!!

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttt....I'm considering a spare MP-1 as well, if I will find one for a reasonably low price.  :facepalm:

How many you've got in good working conditions, until now? Just 2?

Right now there are 3 and one more on the way. So out of seven total we ordered we have sent three back and we are keeping one for parts. Thanks to this forum ( and my handy soldering skills  ;D ) have made another one a keeper! And of coarse I have my "Holy Grail MP-1 that I did the battery mod on it's the only one in my rack or that I use currently. I'm still searching for another great sounding one for another rack I'm going to build in a couple months. But check Ebay and Reverb Iperfungus  :thumb-up:

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan, I've lost the count...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember your Might One, the old 1.38 of your friend, a 2nd one you've got and that's probably the one you fixed...what else?  :bow:

It doesn't matter...
The only important thing is that you found what you were looking for, for you and your buddy.

Now you just miss a GMaj!  :lol:

Even if a Lexicon MPX G2 with a R1 floorboard would be the best!
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan, I've lost the count...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember your Might One, the old 1.38 of your friend, a 2nd one you've got and that's probably the one you fixed...what else?  :bow:
Now you just miss a GMaj!  :lol:

Even if a Lexicon MPX G2 with a R1 floorboard would be the best!

Hey Iperfungus! OK this is an interesting history ( and a headache ) but here's the run down -

1) The first one I order on Ebay in late October and when it arrived my regular UPS driver said Dannyjoe this don't sound good - clink, clink, rattle, rattle - damaged in shipping!  :facepalm:

2) The second one came and the lady (or someone ) had done a low gain mod on it and it had a good Angus and Malcom tone but nothing high gain - RETURN!  :facepalm:

3) The third one also had a mod done and had a horrible open ground noise and appeared to have something done to either the front or rear jack.  >:(

4) The fourth came the week of Christmas dead on arrival with an eprom error  >:(  but luckily because of you guys and MJMP and rnolan I was introduced to the battery mod and this is my main HOLY GRAIL!!!!!! Kiss my A$$ if this isn't the BEST ADA MP-1 I have ever heard in my life!!!!  :headbanger:

5) The fifth one we call "Rusty" came last week and is a really good sounding unit for sure, not near the GRAIL but good and my Buddy Jason has that one.

6) The sixth one arrived last Friday and is also a really good unit, though I don't care for the voicing. Very clean cosmetically but has had a few updates like the power switch and fuse holder and the tone is too fat in the bottom for me and very middy however my buddy Jason loves it. So it is his second. Also he has the original 1.38 he bought new back in 1987 which the chorus has died and is very thin sounding. We use this one for parts now  ;D

7) And now number seven will arrive this coming Tuesday and of course we don't know yet - but hopefully this will be my second one for my back up rack.  :-\

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

No 6's symptoms have some similarities to the issues Richie_B is having  :dunno: , I wonder if they are related.  Worth trying to fix it I recon.

Iperfungus

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Iperfungus! OK this is an interesting history ( and a headache ) but here's the run down -

1) The first one I order on Ebay in late October and when it arrived my regular UPS driver said Dannyjoe this don't sound good - clink, clink, rattle, rattle - damaged in shipping!  :facepalm:

2) The second one came and the lady (or someone ) had done a low gain mod on it and it had a good Angus and Malcom tone but nothing high gain - RETURN!  :facepalm:

3) The third one also had a mod done and had a horrible open ground noise and appeared to have something done to either the front or rear jack.  >:(

4) The fourth came the week of Christmas dead on arrival with an eprom error  >:(  but luckily because of you guys and MJMP and rnolan I was introduced to the battery mod and this is my main HOLY GRAIL!!!!!! Kiss my A$$ if this isn't the BEST ADA MP-1 I have ever heard in my life!!!!  :headbanger:

5) The fifth one we call "Rusty" came last week and is a really good sounding unit for sure, not near the GRAIL but good and my Buddy Jason has that one.

6) The sixth one arrived last Friday and is also a really good unit, though I don't care for the voicing. Very clean cosmetically but has had a few updates like the power switch and fuse holder and the tone is too fat in the bottom for me and very middy however my buddy Jason loves it. So it is his second. Also he has the original 1.38 he bought new back in 1987 which the chorus has died and is very thin sounding. We use this one for parts now  ;D

7) And now number seven will arrive this coming Tuesday and of course we don't know yet - but hopefully this will be my second one for my back up rack.  :-\

I love these stories, mate!  :lol:
I like to read about them and see how they will go on.

So...first 3 MP-1s has been sent back and you've got a money refund...and that's good.
Then you and your buddy kept the other ones and you're waiting for your spare MP-1: will you build a second rack with it or will you just keep it for parts?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I love these stories, mate!  :lol:
I like to read about them and see how they will go on.

So...first 3 MP-1s has been sent back and you've got a money refund...and that's good.
Then you and your buddy kept the other ones and you're waiting for your spare MP-1: will you build a second rack with it or will you just keep it for parts?

Yep that's where we are right now; the sellers after all claiming "Had it since it was new" came back and admitted they purchased them awhile back and could not certify who did what to the units. They were all decent people and we got full refunds.

Now I'm hoping to have the one that comes this Tuesday ( 1/24/2017 ) will be a keeper so I can plan the building of my next rack - so I will keep you posted Brother!

And I'm glad you guys are enjoying me sharing this stuff!  :D I'm happy to share and tell this stories as a warning or caveat to fellow Depot members. But this also serves as a journal for me to the journey back the rack systems and my beloved ADA MP-1!!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, it's good to hear your experiences and a salient reminder to us all when we buy stuff.  It's not often that you (allot of us) can afford a bunch of different units and, as I said elsewhere, I didn't realise there were so many crap units being sold (and miss-represented).
Not to mention we all get to enjoy you purchases and journey (albeit virtually). Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) is in plentiful supply around here LoL  >:D .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up