ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nolan NPB-1 50W vintage guitar amplifier  (Read 3119 times)

Rusty

Nolan NPB-1 50W guitar amplifier

Hello,

I have drawn up a schematic diagram of this vintage 50W guitar amplifier made by an Irish immigrant in London, England, UK, Pat Nolan , back in the sixties/seventies.

I am posting this here for reference only, for anyone who needs a schematic.
There is not that much info out there that I can find on this very collectable boutique amplifier apart from this decent site listed below, and maybe a few others, but no schematics.

https://jedistar.com/nolan-amplification/

It seems that this amplifier is heavily based upon the classic Fender Bassman 5F6A, with some differences.
The input valve in this case is an ECC81/12AT7 as opposed to the USA 12AY7 as in the Bassman. Then the usual, an ECC83/12AX7 for V2-1 for the second gain stage and V2-2 for a cathode follower to drive the tone stack, then another ECC83/12AX7 for the phase inverter.
The output valves are a pair of EL34’s as opposed to the 6L6’s in the Bassman.
There is no choke inductor in the power supply either and it has a solid state rectifier.
There are also a few minor differences in capacitor and resistor values, respectfully.

Basically; This is a UK made clone of the famous Fender Bassman with a sound of the best of two worlds, much like the very early Marshall’s.
I restored the electronics as best as I could, biased it to 70% and put a few N.O.S. in there, A great sounding amplifier I must say.

That 2x12 speaker cab in the pic is a Marmac 100W cabinet made in Sligo, Ireland back in the 70's too. It has two vintage Goodmans Power Range speakers in there, back in the day when Goodmans speakers were excellent speakers. A very nice well made solid birchwood speaker cab.

You may notice that I 100% re-populated the whole circuit board with new components. I used metal film type for the resistors, apart from only one of them. In retrospect, I wish I had of put high stability carbon composition's in there, Ah well, it's too late now.  ::)

Please feel free anyone out there to take a copy of the schematic I drew up, I have checked over it many of times and it is accurate.
(You need to register or log in to view)

Thank you,
Rusty.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Nolan NPB-1 50W vintage guitar amplifier
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

That looks amazing!

Where did you get this mate?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hiya Gerry,

A guy gave me the Nolan amplifier to repair and It's away back to him. He said that it is a lovely sounding amp and he is very happy with it.

The Marmac speaker is still here in my house though, A class A1 vintage large box speaker cab I must say. b*mb proof and sounds amazing.

It might be up for sale, very rare and a fantastic piece of history attached to it too.

:)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Definitely flog it  :thumb-up: 

But yeah that's fascinating stuff right there.  You do many repairs then?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yes, it's the real McCoy Gerry, good kit.

I got other great vintage stuff thats going for sale too.

Yes I do do repairs, not so much these days as I don't have a workshop anymore. Just from my house at the moment.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Like you said almost an early marshall clone but running at a much higher voltage. BTW the ECC81 is the same as a 12AT7 and not the 12AU7.

Rusty

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Like you said almost an early marshall clone but running at a much higher voltage. BTW the ECC81 is the same as a 12AT7 and not the 12AU7.

Post corrected, typo error there.
Good man MJMP, Your a gentleman, :thumb-up: 

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, very cool, obviously a distant relative of mine made it LoL.  The post is fine to stay here, you don't have to move it  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Rusty

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, very cool, obviously a distant relative of mine made it LoL.  The post is fine to stay here, you don't have to move it  :thumb-up:

Richard, I would say he might be a very a distant relative, LOL, you never know,  :)

Post amended, Thanks Richard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up