ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get this tone?  (Read 5046 times)

rickeb1

How to get this tone?
« on: Time Format »

I would really love to get the tone this guy is getting from his MP-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjA7sr6FJ90

With all of the different voicings, OD settings and the graphic eq, I get easily bewildered :-[. Any tips on how I can get close to this tone?  Thanks!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: How to get this tone?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Rick, you could start with my rhythm patch, I've added a little more bottom end to the one I posted (MP2 patches) these days but the eq is similar to his tone. Now he's using a bit more gain so change the voice from 5 warm vintage to voice 6, then 7, then 8 and compare. My guess is he's using voice 7 (which is the first voice that has both OD1 and OD2), 5 and 6 only have drive and master.  He's also mostly on his neck PU and he's rolling down the vol on the guitar.  My JPLP sounds quite similar with the vol at 2.5 to 3.  To get the feedback (apart from crank it up) I think he's using quite high OD2 (~100 ??) and OD1 probably 65 and you'll need to set the noise gate threshold (if you need it) quite low so as not to cut out the sound. I don't think he's using the gate though.  Part of the tone is the guitar and PU of course (hence my comparison with the JPLP).  But if you fiddle around with it a bit you should be able to get close (as long as you have a guitar that's similar), there's lots of Mahogany in that tone, the bight is coming from the PU and the patch (treb and presence).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rickeb1

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the response and will follow your suggestions!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Also remember, that hollow guitar is going to feedback a lot more than a Les Paul.

The pickups and that hollow body have a lot to do with that tone, but you should be able to nail it with your MP-2 and a bit of noodling around. I have an Ibanez AS83 (ES 335 style) with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge & it gets a similar tone from the Vintage Brown voicing if I push the drive a bit - mine sounds slightly clearer than this vid, but my drive is only at 65, I have lots of room.

The guitar mentioned is on the right
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Is it a hollow body (can't see any f holes) ?? Then it's not a model I'm familiar with, and as Dante says, hollows feedback way more easily (sometimes too easily LoL).

Hey Rick, cool let us know how you get on  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

It's hard to see the f-holes on that black guitar, but I'm pretty sure the Gibson Midtown Standard model is a hollow body

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yep, hollow body : you can see the F hole the first time he faced the camera with the reflection of the light 

Anyway nice tone ! :thumb-up:
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/
Pages: [1]   Go Up